* Property box fonts

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Property box fonts

Post by pwe »

I have just moved FH v5 and my project to a new computer running Win 8.1 from a computer running Win XP. This gave me cause to adjust the fonts in the property box using the Property Box preferences panel.
I can adjust the text font but am unable to adjust the title font. I tried this on my laptop running Vista with the same result. I have not yet tried the XP computer but I could if necessary before I bin it.
Is anyone else able to get this to work and am I doing something wrong?
many thanks
Peter E
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Property box fonts

Post by tatewise »

I have no problem changing Title Font.
Use either Tools > Preferences > Property Box or Property Box > Menu > Options.
The Property Box Fonts for Text and Title are near the top.
Note that Title only applies to the Caption at the very top of the Property Box and Text applies to the rest.

BTW:
In moving from PC to PC have you transferred all your Customisations and Preferences as well as the Project?
The easiest way is to use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Mike,
Thanks for your reply.
I have just dragged out the old computer and reconnected it and the result is the same. I can adjust the text font but not the title font.
By title I am understanding it to be the coloured bar across the top of the property box containing the individual's name, ID and in my case the relationship to file root.
I understand what you say about transferring my customisations and settings, but, even if I did not transfer the settings from the old computer, surely the title and text in the property box should have then been at the installation default upon installation of FH5 and I should then have been able to adjust them straight from the installation setting. I am puzzled why I can adjust one and not the other.
However it is not a big deal as I am not dissatisfied with the current title setting its just that I tried to adjust it and couldn't.

Peter E
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

AH! I understand your problem.
You are talking about a Floating Property Box where the Caption is in the Window Title bar.
That you cannot change.

The Preference setting only applies to a Docked Property Box, such as is the default in the Focus Window.

Your other comments about customisations & preferences are correct.
I only made the comment because many users are unaware of the need to transfer them and wonder why their Diagrams and Reports and Queries, etc, are different on the new PC.
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Mike
Thanks for that explanation.
Yes I have been trying to adjust the property box title with the property box floating as you surmised. I am able to adjust the title font with the property box docked as you said so I guess all is well.
Strange though that the text font can be altered with the property box floating but the title font cannot.
I always have the property box floating so I had not tried to alter the fonts with the property box docked.
many thanks
Peter E
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The explanation is that the Floating Property Box is just like any other Windows window, and the font on the title bar across the top is determined by Windows, not by the application program.
This font can only be changed in Windows for ALL windows, and not for each window independently.

The contents of the window, including the Text font in the case of FH, can be changed by the application program, for example the text fonts in a word-processor such as Microsoft Word, but even Word cannot change its window title bar font.
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Thanks Mike

Peter E