* Back up options

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
victor
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Back up options

Post by victor »

I have v5 and suddenly my back up options have been reduced to just Gedcom

This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time in the latest version of FH

I would like to kn ow why this has has happened and if it is possible for the software be made to ensure it never happens to me or anyone

My file statistics shows

File Name: C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\Markham 2c.fh_data\Markham 2c.ged
Attachments
FH Screen shot.jpg
FH Screen shot.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 14307 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Back up options

Post by Jane »

My guess would be that you have started to open the file with the Victor-pc option on the file name, which I suspect is a file created by your Sky drive when you edited on both files. Try opening the Project from the Project window and see if the options are there if so then merge in the "Victor" file version.

To avoid the problem make sure you don't edit the file on both PCs when they are not able to sync with Sky drive.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It looks more complex than that to me.
I suggest you Exit from your SkyDrive program on both PC before continuing below.
(I am surprised you have not been automatically updated to OneDrive yet.)

It would be useful to see the same files on your other computer (Victor-PC).

The highlighted folder should have the name Markham 2c without the fh_data suffix.
It should only contain the following three files:
Markham 2c.fh_data folder, which it does
Markham 2c (file type .fh_proj) Family Historian Project file, which is missing
Public folder, which is missing

The nested Markham 2c.fh_data folder should contain:
Folders such as Books, Charts, Media, Plugin Data, Settings
Markham 2c (file type .ged) Gedcom File (and usually no other Gedcom Files)

I suggest renaming the highlighted folder, and move all its contents down into Markham 2c.fh_data folder.
You will also need to create a plain text file called Markham 2c.fh_proj with contents:

Code: Select all

[Family Historian]
Version=5
I find it difficult to explain how this has arisen, but as Jane says you must take care not run FH on both PC at the same time or before they have synchronised.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Thanks for your responses.

I don't use the Victor PC part. That was an old one the date shows that.

I only heard about the change to Sky Drive last week. I will see if I can get it changed.

The public folder is listed further down but it is empty. All my details are in the Media folder

I will have to try and understand the contents of the rest of the message from Mike

I either use my PC or my lap top. I wouldn't be able to work on both at the same time. I am the only one with access to both.

If I make the changes suggested will I lose everything in my Project folder?

Victor
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

tatewise wrote:(I am surprised you have not been automatically updated to OneDrive yet.)
Skydrive is an integral part of Windows 8.1 and I believe it won't be renamed to OneDrive until Windows 8.1 Update 1 which is due in the next month or so.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I have now carried out changes.

The revised screen shot is shown here.
I am not sure about this....
I suggest renaming the highlighted folder, and move all its contents down into Markham 2c.fh_data folder.
You will also need to create a plain text file called Markham 2c.fh_proj with contents:

Code:
[Family Historian]
Version=5

Do I move the gedcom file to Markham 2c.fh_proj?
Where would I add the code?

Victor
Attachments
FH Screen shot 2.jpg
FH Screen shot 2.jpg (83.05 KiB) Viewed 14262 times
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Thanks for the explanation Nick about One Drive. I have this on my mobile. I have just tried to update so will now wait for One Drive to arrive and download automatically.

In case any one wonders I wont access FH via my mobile. File would be too big

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Victor I do not understand how you have got to that screenshot.

Where did the Markham folder and its contents come from?

Why is there a Markham 2c.fh_proj folder?

Markham 2c.fh_proj should be a plain text file NOT a folder.

I am sorry, but if you do not take great care in following the steps your Project may be lost.

I hope you have good backups.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Sorry looks as if I misunderstood your message

The highlighted folder should have the name Markham 2c

I thought that meant for me to create a new folder.

I never had such a folder before even before I moved things to SkyDrive.

Until a week or so ago I was able to back up with all three options. That is without the above mentioned folder.

Looks as if I am in a bit of a pickle!

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK Victor, I have been doing some experimentation to see how you could have the 3 Backup options without that Markham 2c folder.
I've found it is possible to partially fool FH into thinking that you have a Project, when you don't.

But for that to happen, you (or SkyDrive) must have moved folders & files around using Windows Explorer, or used the Let Standalone Gedcom Use Project Commands Plugin.

Now the task is how to fix things, so follow these steps VERY CAREFULLY, and if you are unsure of any step, then pause, think, and ask for clarification.

(1.1) In FH use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
This should create a Family Historian Sample Project folder within the Family Historian Projects folder within your SkyDrive folder.
See how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|> Project Structure.

(1.2) In FH use File > Project Window and open the Family Historian Sample Project.
Use File > File Statistics and check the File Name is
C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project\Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data\Family Historian Sample Project.ged
If it is NOT in \SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\ then stop and ask for advice.

We shall use this as the framework to reconstruct your Markham 2c Project.

(1.3) Close FH.

(2) RENAME the four files named Family Historian Sample Project as follows:
(2.1) Family Historian Sample Project folder becomes Markham 2c.
(2.2) Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data folder becomes Markham 2c.fh_data.
(2.3) Family Historian Sample Project Family Historian Project File becomes Markham 2c.
(2.4) Family Historian Sample Project Gedcom File becomes Markham 2c. (This last file is inside the Markham 2c.fh_data folder.)

(3) In FH use File > Project Window and check you can open the Markham 2c Project.
It will NOT display your Project details yet, but will still display the FH Sample Project details.

(3.1) Use File > Project Window, right-click the Markham 2c Project and choose Default Project.

(3.2) Close FH.

(4) Now we'll COPY your crucial Gedcom file & Media folder into the new Markham 2c.fh_data folder created above.
Ensure you copy into the new Markham 2c.fh_data folder within the new Markham 2c folder.

(4.1) COPY the Markham 2c Gedcom File dated 13/03/2014 into the Markham 2c.fh_data folder. It should complain that such a file already exists, but copy it anyway.

(4.2) COPY the Media folder dated 05/03/2014 into the Markham 2c.fh_data folder. It should complain that such a folder already exists, but copy it anyway.

(5) Open FH and your Markham 2c Project should open automatically.
Note that the banner bar at the very top of FH says Markham 2c.ged - Family Historian Project, and NOT Family Historian Gedcom, which only supports 1 backup option.
Double check that everything is correct and all your Multimedia display OK.

(6) Use File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup to preserve everything.

When you get this far, report back, and we will tidy up any redundant files, and check your SkyDrive setup.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Thanks Mike

I will print out your detailed instructions and spend the day working in it. Hopefully I will get everything right.

Victor
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Hi Mike

I have been working on this.

But am stuck here

(3) In FH use File > Project Window and check you can open the Markham 2c Project.
It will NOT display your Project details yet, but will still display the FH Sample Project details.

I am unable to see Markham 2c Project in the Project Window. Latest screen shot is
Attachments
FH Screen shot 3.jpg
FH Screen shot 3.jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 14173 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Oh dear! The file hierarchy has gone wrong again.

At step (1.2) did the Family Historian Sample Project open OK, and did you double check the File Statistics > File Name was :

C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project\Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data\Family Historian Sample Project.ged

Please confirm what FH says in File > Project Window > Location:

Does it say C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects ??
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Just checked this and it says

File Name: C:\Users\Victor\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project\Family Historian Sample Project.fh_data\Family Historian Sample Project.ged

Sorry I actually thought it included Sky Drive and not Documents. Must have miss read the long thread. I had opened this under Sky Drive

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK Victor, that changes things, so please ignore my earlier instructions for the time being.
As I said before, its is VERY IMPORTANT to follow my instructions VERY CAREFULLY or your Project will be DOOMED.

Also, if I ask more than one question, PLEASE ANSWER THEM ALL, otherwise this could take a very long time to fix.

Use the FH command File > Project Window then PLEASE ANSWER ALL THESE:

What Projects are listed under Family Historian Projects in this Project Window?

What does FH say in blue against Location: in this same Project Window?

Am I right in thinking it says Documents\Family Historian Projects ?

How do you get your Project files into the SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects folder as shown in your screenshots?
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Also, if I ask more than one question, PLEASE ANSWER THEM ALL, otherwise this could take a very long time to fix.

Use the FH command File > Project Window then PLEASE ANSWER ALL THESE:

What Projects are listed under Family Historian Projects in this Project Window?

Family Historian Sample Project

What does FH say in blue against Location: in this same Project Window?

My Documents\Family Historian Projects

Am I right in thinking it says Documents\Family Historian Projects ? Yes

How do you get your Project files into the SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects folder as shown in your screenshots?

I had moved them to Sky Drive sometime ago

Until a week or so ago when the three back up options changed to just one everything was on Sky Drive working fine. Both start up and back up were on Sky Drive. How it has changed beats me. On my lap top I have the set up under Documents. That is out of date because, as you will gather, the set up in Sky Drive is the one that gets updated all the time
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect the root of your problem is that FH still thinks your Projects are in My Documents\Family Historian Projects but you have actually moved them to SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects, so eventually we need to correct that.
Possibly in moving the Project folders & files not everything was included that should have been, or the method you now use to open them is incorrect.

Sorry, but a few more questions to establish the best recovery technique:

What method do you use to open your Markham Project in SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects ?

In FH Tools > Preferences > Backup tab what is the Default Backup Folder ?

Does that Backup Folder contain any backups of your Markham Project ?

What is the full filename of the most recent FH Project Backup or FH Project Backup (min) ?

What is the full filename of the most recent FH Gedcom Backup ?

Would you be happy if these were used to recover your Markham Project ?
( You would then have to re-enter any later details that you might have added. )
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Sorry, but a few more questions to establish the best recovery technique:

I only have myself to blame for this cock up

What method do you use to open your Markham Project in SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects ?

I used to simply prompt the ikon on my desk top and that opened things in full. But since I followed your first instructions (FH Sample Project) that is no longer available. I have to go to the Gecom on the Sky Drive to open the full FH

In FH Tools > Preferences > Backup tab what is the Default Backup Folder ?

C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects That is for the full FH (not the Sample FH Project

Does that Backup Folder contain any backups of your Markham Project ?

Yes the last time I was able to do a full back up was on 6 March after that I could only do a Gedcom back up the last being on 13 March

What is the full filename of the most recent FH Project Backup or FH Project Backup (min) ?

FH Gedcom Backup - Markham 2c - 2014-03-13 2348

Earlier back up

FH Project Backup - Markham 2c - 2014-03-06 1025

What is the full filename of the most recent FH Gedcom Backup ?

FH Gedcom Backup - Markham 2c - 2014-03-13 2348

Would you be happy if these were used to recover your Markham Project ?
( You would then have to re-enter any later details that you might have added. )

That is understandable and I was thinking on those lines. Probably lose 13 days work which would be no great loss
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FYI: In FH Tools > Preferences all the settings, including the Backup tab, apply to ALL Projects.

OK, this is what I suggest you do, and perhaps we will just take a few steps at a time.

(1) Tidy up the C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects folder.
Take care NOT to delete any FH Gedcom Backup... or FH Project Backup... files.
DELETE all the other folders & files within the SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects folder.
If necessary they can be restored from the Recycle Bin within the next few days.
If you are uncomfortable doing this DELETE, then MOVE those folders & files to another folder.

(2) Alter the FH default Location for Projects.
In FH use File > Project Window and click on the blue My Documents\Family Historian Projects link against Location.
Select Choose Location and browse to your C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects folder.
Click OK and check that it is now shown against the Location.

(3) Create the Family Historian Sample Project.
In FH use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
The Family Historian Sample Project should now be listed in the Project Window.
Select Family Historian Sample Project and use More Tasks > Default Project.
Now close & open FH a few times to check the Family Historian Sample Project is automatically opened.
Check File > Project Window > Location is C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects.

In Windows Explorer you can check the C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project folder exists, but do not alter it in any way.
If that all works OK then we can try to restore your backups, but do not attempt that yet.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

(3) Create the Family Historian Sample Project.
In FH use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project.
The Family Historian Sample Project should now be listed in the Project Window.
Select Family Historian Sample Project and use More Tasks > Default Project.
Now close & open FH a few times to check the Family Historian Sample Project is automatically opened.
Check File > Project Window > Location is C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects.

In Windows Explorer you can check the C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian Sample Project folder exists, but do not alter it in any way.

All the above has been carried out and are listed as you have shown
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, now the next step is to restore and check the Project backup & recovery.
If there are any problems, or things don't go as described, then stop and report back.

(1) Restore Project Backup.
In FH use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup...
In the Select File to Restore window Open the FH Project Backup - Markham 2c - 2014-03-06 1025 zip file.
In the Restore Project From Backup window enter the New Project Name:
(This can be the original name Markham 2c or any other name you prefer, but keep it short.)
Check Location to Restore to: says C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects.
Click Restore, and in the Project has been restored popup, click OK.

(2) Make restored Project the Default.
In FH use File > Project Window to see the new Project name listed with the FH Sample Project.
Select this new Project name and use More Tasks > Default Project so it becomes ticked.
Click the central Open Project button to see this new default Project in the Focus Window.
Close and Open FH to check your new Project opens as the default Project.

(3) Check the Project Media.
In FH use Tools > Work with External File Links.
Check the File Links listing is headed by Project Data Folder & Media folder
Check that no X is shown against any files or folders.
If either of the above disagree then report back and we should be able to fix them.
Click Cancel.

In Windows Explorer you can check the new Project folder appears in C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects alongside the Family Historian Sample Project folder, but do not alter either in any way.

Feel free to review the new Project in FH to confirm it is complete BUT DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING as there is further recovery we can perform.

Let me know your new Project name.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Thanks again Mike.

I have saved and renamed my Project as Markham 2d

Everything has worked until I came to Check the Project Media - work with external files

(3) Check the Project Media.
In FH use Tools > Work with External File Links.
Check the File Links listing is headed by Project Data Folder & Media folder
Check that no X is shown against any files or folders.
If either of the above disagree then report back and we should be able to fix them.
Click Cancel.

The screen shot does not list Project Data Folder & Media Folder
Attachments
FH Screen shot 4.jpg
FH Screen shot 4.jpg (236.23 KiB) Viewed 14031 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is a shame, but probably not a disaster, and warrants an explanation, some advice, and a few more questions - Sorry!

(1) Explanation:
(1.1)
The File Links list shows the full folder path & filename recorded in each FH Multimedia Record.
So the first one is:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Cressey\Census\1841\HO107-1217-10_Fo31_Page-8 Daniel Cressey 1804.wmf
This is where FH expects to find that Multimedia File.
(1.2)
There are several problems with that file reference, and I suspect many of the others.
  1. Normally Multimedia Files reside in the Project's Media folder, which in your case now is C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\Markham 2d\Markham 2d.fh_data\Media or a sub-folder within that. This is similar to the path for your GEDCOM file that is correctly shown as your Current Tree File above the File Links.
  2. The folder C:\Documents and Settings\... is ABNORMAL for Windows 8 but is typical of a Windows XP system folder. Also it is odd that the user-name folder is \Administrator\ whereas your user-name folder now is \Victor\.
  3. The X against each folder & file indicates unsurprisingly that they do not exist in your Windows 8 filing system.
(1.3)
The above situation must have existed when you backed up your Markham 2c project at 10:25 on 06-03-2014.

(2) Advice:
(2.1)
Reveal your Multimedia Records and other records that FH chooses to hide by default:
Use Tools > Preferences > Records Window and set all Record Type Display Options to Always show.
Now you will have extra tabs in your Records Window for those other records that we may need later.
This allows you to easily inspect not only Multimedia records, but also Family records, etc.
(2.2)
Please confirm that you have preferred to disable your Focus Window in the past by ticking:
Tools > Preferences > Startup > Display the Records Window, instead of the Focus Window, at Startup.

(3) Questions:
(3.1)
If you scroll down the File Links list, as in your screenshot, does Project Data Folder & Media folder appear further down ?
You can enlarge the window to full-screen if it helps see more in one go.
(3.2)
If you scroll down the File Links list, are any files listed without an X ?
(3.3)
Select any file with an X, and click the Go To button on the right.
In the resulting Multimedia Window, select the record listed in the Multimedia Records pane top left.
Is anything listed in the Linked Record & Notes pane bottom left ?
Please repeat this for representative sample of files with an X.
(3.4)
Can you throw any light on the Multimedia file path problems identified in (1.2)a-c above?
I guess those problems will have existed for some time, perhaps since you moved FH from a Windows XP system?
Could you give a potted history of how this Project has migrated from XP to Win 8 to SkyDrive ?
(3.5)
Using Windows File Explorer, but taking care not to change any files, can you locate where those problematic Multimedia Files are actually stored in your filing system ?
Are they by any chance somewhere in the Project's Media folder identified in (1.2)a above?
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

That is a shame, but probably not a disaster, and warrants an explanation, some advice, and a few more questions - Sorry!

(1) Explanation:
(1.1)
The File Links list shows the full folder path & filename recorded in each FH Multimedia Record.
So the first one is:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Cressey\Census\1841\HO107-1217-10_Fo31_Page-8 Daniel Cressey 1804.wmf
This is where FH expects to find that Multimedia File.

I was surprised to see this Cressey name but looking at it it is just one census and nothing else..see note about Cressey further down

(1.2)
There are several problems with that file reference, and I suspect many of the others.

Normally Multimedia Files reside in the Project's Media folder, which in your case now is C:\Users\Victor\SkyDrive\Family Historian Projects\Markham 2d\Markham 2d.fh_data\Media or a sub-folder within that.

Yes that is where they are

This is similar to the path for your GEDCOM file that is correctly shown as your Current Tree File above the File Links.
The folder C:\Documents and Settings\... is ABNORMAL for Windows 8 but is typical of a Windows XP system folder. Also it is odd that the user-name folder is /Administrator/ whereas your user-name folder is /Victor/.

I am on Windows 8.1 and used to have XP. It is puzzling. I have tried to find this folder C:Documents and Settings in Windows Explorer but have not been able to
The X against each folder & file indicates unsurprisingly that they do not exist in your Windows 8 filing system.

Yes you are right they do not exist. I have just checked the folders where I saved them in the first place but they are not there. I think one possible reason for this is that I had merged the Cressey file with my main file. I searched the Cressey name for a friend of my sister and did that separately from FH. Later I found a link to some names on my main file so merged the two. This could be why they are listed under an X

(1.3)
The above situation must have existed when you backed up your Markham 2c project at 10:25 on 06-03-2014.

It may have been disappeared quite a while ago. Maybe when I transferred all my computer details from an old computer to my latest a few years ago

(2) Advice:
(2.1)
Reveal your Multimedia Records and other records that FH chooses to hide by default:
Use Tools > Preferences > Records Window and set all Record Type Display Options to Always show.

I have done that but the first one under 'individuals' is greyed out

Now you will have extra tabs in your Records Window for those other records that we may need later.
This allows you to easily inspect not only Multimedia records, but also Family records, etc.
(2.2)
Please confirm that you have preferred to disable your Focus Window in the past by ticking:
Tools > Preferences > Startup > Display the Records Window, instead of the Focus Window, at Startup.

Confirm...this has always been the case

(3) Questions:
(3.1)
If you scroll down the File Links list, as in your screenshot, does Project Data Folder & Media folder appear further down ?
You can enlarge the window to full-screen if it helps see more in one go.

(3.2)
If you scroll down the File Links list, are any files listed without an X ?

Yes it does. To start with there are some files with an X but only the first few every other files doesn't have this and I have tested one by using the 'Go to' button
(3.3)
Select any file with an X, and click the Go To button on the right.
In the resulting Multimedia Window, select the record listed in the Multimedia Records pane top left.
Is anything listed in the Linked Record & Notes pane bottom left ?

Yes it says linked not and 'file merged. The pane on the right does not show an image just a box with an X to each corner.

Please repeat this for representative sample of files with an X.

Same result

(3.4)
Can you throw any light on the Multimedia file path problems identified in (1.2)a-c above?

See my comments above hope those help
I guess those problems will have existed for some time, perhaps since you moved FH from a Windows XP system?

As I have said above may be when I transferred details from an old computer

(3.5)

Using Windows File Explorer, but taking care not to change any files, can you locate where those Multimedia Files are actually stored in your filing system ?

I save multi media files in folders on the desk top. When I use AS I download them on to AS and these are store in the medi file on Sky Drive in a folder under Markham 2d. When I did the Cressey family search AS was not available then
Are they by any chance somewhere in the Project's Media folder identified in (1.2)a above?

Those files with an X are not but others are
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Mike

Thinking about all the files with an X it just means the images are no longer in my computer. Most of them are census images. So I have a choice of either deleting them all or downloading the images from Ancestry. Fortunately I wont have to do a systematic search as I have FTM. As you probably know FTM has a leave against each name on the tree and these indicate a source which are likely to include census details so I will just have to go to these sources and download the image again.

So can we continue and leave the X files as it is. I will delete them all in time. Alternatively I can make a list of the required downloads and, once done, delete them all right away.

I still have my old computer but the hard drive no longer operates. I have been pondering whether to take it to a computer place who says they can restore hard drives on a 'no fix no fee basis' I wonder if it will be worth doing.

Victor