* Large Tree Printing

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Large Tree Printing

Post by jsphillips »

I have customised my chart of 1325 odd persons with variable box sizes + photos and different colours and different font sizes for different data.This is a Descendant chart with all the expanded buttons clicked on.
On inspecting the print preview it lists 90 pages of A4 missing page boundaries or 60 pages for overlapping.
How do I see the width and length in inches (or mm) of the chart for a continual print through an outside print company.
I looked at saving a PDF file on 1 page but when blown up it was not readable, being either too small or other too blurred fonts.
The print company said send a GED file but they only use Family Historian 4 and would not personalize it as I have done.
I just want a print on a single sheet as I have it on screen , size colours fonts data included etc.
Any suggestions welcome please.
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Large Tree Printing

Post by PeterR »

1. Rather than click on all the expansion buttons, you can select All for Generations Down in Diagram Options.
  2. You can use Diagram Statistics... in the Diagram menu to see the Diagram Size.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't worry about the one page PDF looking too small, because the print company will be able to enlarge it onto whatever size paper you want.
With the large number of boxes you have, it will naturally need to be a large sheet (or multiple sheets) for it to be legible.

When you say the font is too blurred it sounds as if you may have been fiddling with the Scaling or Fonts in an attempt to reduce the Diagram size, or fit it onto one A4 page.

I have just produced a Diagram at 100% Scaling with standard font Arial 8 pt and the following Diagram Statistics :
DiagramStatistics.png
DiagramStatistics.png (5.93 KiB) Viewed 17263 times
I know this is not as many boxes as yours, but it is more pages.

Then I used Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and accepted all the default settings including Adjust PDF File Page Size so that Diagram fits into One Page.

I can zoom into the PDF file x64 (6400%) and the text is still crisp in two different PDF viewers, and the pictures are OK at x8 (800%) zoom. The PDF file size is only 608 KB.
DiagramFontPDF.png
DiagramFontPDF.png (13.03 KiB) Viewed 17263 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I am not sure what printing company you have talked to, but have you tried My History, they use FH5 so you can send your Project and the Chart file to them for printing.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, see fhugdownloads:publishers|> Downloads & Links ~ Publishers that lists My History along with some others
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you all
My print size is 224.52 inches by 21.75"
It says regardless of setting to one page PDF it shows 2 pages PDF ie 1 of 2
If I read my FH Manual 4 it says it is size restricted (I am on version 5.9)
My History only seems in fact to want to print 1 page PDF
It specifically says in a check box "Have you checked it is only 1 page PDF)
When I check the PDF file on the saved pdf it appears to have printed it all. Is this a bug in version 5.09 as it clearly says " printed 1of 2 pages " ??
Although I have over 1300 persons in file It is only producing as I wanted a Direct Ascendant file correctly with less persons
see attached size file ??
Thanks for any help
Attachments
Ftree.JPG
Ftree.JPG (36.57 KiB) Viewed 17190 times
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

By the way after reading statistics on file it says 224.52" and 21.75" but the final statistics for printing say larger than this ??
as attached...very confusing
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Also what statistics would the printer company take. Is it possible after sending the file they can review befor printing and confirm size and Cost !!
They appear to only have Family Historian 4 is this a problem when I have submitted form 5.09 ??
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Have you tried emailing or phoning them, I know they have been taking Project files, if needed for larger charts.

They definitely have V5, so it might just be they have forgotten to update the site.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks Jane
Will do ie telephone.
Confused does the restriction mentioned in FH4 manual for producing a 1 page pdf still apply to 5.09 ?
It was a width and length restriction !!
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

The FH Help page for PDF File Support includes:
Family Historian will create a PDF file with a large page size so that the diagram fits into a single page. At least, it will do that as long as the diagram is not wider or taller than 120 inches. If the diagram is bigger than that, Family Historian will be forced to spread the diagram over multiple pages within the PDF file.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The reason is the PDF format it's self does not support pages which are any larger.
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That FH Help goes on to say:
If you are determined that you want the diagram to fit on one page, you can adjust Scaling in the General tab of Diagram Options, to make the diagram smaller. If scaled down sufficiently, it may fit. If you do this, you may want to increase the dots-per-inch (DPI) setting for the Family Historian PDF 'printer' (that Properties button again) so that information will not be lost if a printer later scales the diagram back up for you. Alternatively, you can move branches around, or hide branches, or change the diagram orientation, or the layout, to make the diagram smaller. Click on Diagram Statistics to find out how big the diagram actually is.
So, the Diagram I experimented with above did occupy 3 pages.
I adjusted the Scaling down to 45% via Diagram > Layout & Scaling > Diagram Scale - I had to type in 45% because it is not on the drop list.
The Diagram Statistics then showed the Diagram Size was 56" x 126".
I used Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and Adjust PDF File Page Size so that Diagram fits into One Page as before.
This first dialogue confirms the Diagram Width and Diagram Height.
After clicking OK the Print dialogue appears and confirms the number of Pages under Print range.
This dialogue also has the Properties button mentioned in the Help that lets you increase the Resolution (dpi) bottom right.
I left it at 300 and the resulting one page PDF still had very crisp characters at high zoom.

Regarding the print company, if you send them a PDF file then its derivation is irrelevant.
The FH version only matters if you send the Project GEDCOM & Chart File & Media photos
Beardshaw
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Post by Beardshaw »

It can be confusing knowing how to save and send a chart for printing on wide format printers. At My History we have several worksheets available to help with chart printing and this thread has prompted us to put something online that may be of help. Basically we have created a PDF document that explains how to use a third party (free download) PDF creator to produce a PDF chart up to 5m long instead of the restricted 3.28m one supplied with the program. Here is a link to download our instruction with simple step-by-step instructions.

http://www.myhistory.co.uk/Family_Histo ... ver-5m.pdf

There are several other ways of send an even bigger chart to our chart printing service so I will post them here if it is of interest to anyone.

Tony Beardshaw
My History
Tony Beardshaw
www.my-history.co.uk & www.twrcomputing.co.uk

My History has been supporting new users of Family Historian since November 2003. We have experience of many of the questions that occur when starting out with this software.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Tony that is really helpful.
I have updated our how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram advice.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to comment on it.
We would also be interested in your other ways of printing even bigger charts.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks Michael & Tony
Jane & Mike could not Calico pie put into place a new PDF creator similar or better than My History
I see there is Cute as well
If not cannot one of these existing large PDF creators be bundled into the FH suite ??
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

The free PDFCreator (which can be used with FH as a virtual printer) appears to have a maximum width and height of 200 inches = 508 cm.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My History do NOT have a PDF Creator of their own.
If you check the step-by-step instruction that Tony offers, they recommend Cute PDF and PDF 995 that are two of the many long established free fhugdownloads:pdfcreate|> PDF Creators available.

I have the free Nitro Reader 3 installed that also has a PDF Creator Driver that can be configured for 200" x 200" printouts.

Yes, FH could be packaged with a different PDF Creator, but we are only talking about 128" x 128" versus 200" x 200", and that can be accommodated by a fairly small variation in Scaling, or an alternative PDF Creator chosen.

See the how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram advice that explains how easy it is to choose alternative PDF Creators.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks again
I see I have packaged with FH 5.09 NovaPDF 6
I see from their website that the latest version is 7.7 Build 394.
Will this make any difference and if so can Calico update software to install the latest PDF writer as I see it is some time since NovaPDF 6 has been out !!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In fact FH V5.0.9 is packaged with NovaPDF 7.7 Build 387.
Initially I had NovaPDF 6 installed with V4 alongside NovaPDF 7.7 installed with V5.

I suggest you use Control Panel > Programs & Features to uninstall NovaPDF 6 and then re-install FH V5.0.9.
Then NovaPDF 7.7 should get installed.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Ok I have always followed the upgrade path from ver 4

I am a little reluctant to do what you propose as "If it works do not fix it"
Is there any real difference size wise "PDF ing" on latest version from version 6
Is there not an upgrade path from nova which will fix this old edition and update it ?
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Whoops
I must have installed separately years ago ago NovaPDF 6 as I have a shorcut to the exe file which shows Version 6
BUT I see that when I inspect the NovaPDF file properties I have on FH5.09 it points to Nova 7.7 Build 392
I must have installed several years ago for other matters.
Does this Matter ?
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

I sent My History my file in the end scaled down to 59% (60% created 2 pages)
dpi 300 dpi
file size before scaling ie 100% was
no of boxes 197 number of individuals 197
pages 111 (37x3) Width 24 feet 8.9 Height 2 feet 0.8
Thanks Mike for all your help
I await My History checking on Monday to see if upscaled to 100% on printing all is OK.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please use Start > Control Panel > Programs & Features and check all the versions of NovaPDF installed.
Note that the FH packaged version has the name Family Historian PDF (novaPDF 7.7 printer).
I suspect any you have purchased directly will have a name like NovaPDF 6 or NovaPDF 7.7.

In any Print or Print Setup window, check the Printer Name drop-down list.
How many Family Historian PDF &/or NovaPDF ... names are listed?
To get full version details, click the Properties button of each one, and select the About tab.

Also you will see the Family Historian PDF version says:
The novaPDF for SDK printer driver was installed as part of another application.
You should contact the author of this application for support.
If you want to create PDF files from other applications you need to purchase regular novaPDF licenses.
It sounds as if you have purchased a regular novaPDF licence and so may be able to download the latest build.

Since you have a very recent NovaPDF 7.7 build, and FH is using that version, there seems little point in keeping the obsolete NovaPDF 6 installed.
But as you says if it isn't broke why change.

I am not sure about the differences between V6 and V7.7 but I doubt if it matters much.
In any case, when FH saves the PDF and the Print window opens, you can choose whichever PDF Creator you want, including NovaPDF or Cute PDF or PDF 995 or any others that are installed.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Mike,
For your information this is what I have listed under Control Panel > Programs & Features:
FH PDF printers.JPG
FH PDF printers.JPG (13.33 KiB) Viewed 17053 times
I suspect this is also what jsphillips is seeing.

I note that there is no size in MB next to the 6.1 version. I have definitely never purchased a regular NovaPDF licence, so the 6.1 version can only be a left-over from FH v4 installation.

The Printer name dropdown list only shows one FamilyHistorian PDF printer, which is the 7.7 version.
Lorna