* Diagram question

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Liz G1
Family Historian: V5

Diagram question

Post by Liz G1 »

Is there any simple way to show facts in chronological order in diagrams (rather than as clusters of fact type)? In my diagrams I include info such as "resident"; occupation, etc. For most people the order is essentially birth, marriage, death, but some people eg many women have an occupation before marriage only, whereas men may have an occupation before and after marriage. Where I want to include resident can be much more random, depending on the individual's other info displayed. I have tried various methods, from creating new occupation, placing it where I want it to go and setting a flag, but it quickly becomes very complex and when I tried to copy resident, FH would not allow me - I had to make it eg resident bef marr, but cannot find a way only to show resident: I dont need the extra words in my diagram, as it is obvious.
Or can you customise what text appears in a specific individual within a diagram?
Any ideas?
Thanks for any help
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Diagram question

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Liz.
I have moved your question to the FH General Usage Forum because it is to do with FH.
The User Group Forum is to do with issues regarding this FHUG web site and NOT FH.

In brief the answer to your question is 'NO' unless you use an All Events and Attributes text scheme.
These use the <all events & attributes> item which is specially formatted to list ALL Events and Attributes in chronological order and cannot be customised.

IMO Diagrams should be used to show family relationships with summary details sufficient to identify the Individuals with a few key life events.
Otherwise the Diagrams become much to cumbersome and show too much detail.
Reports are the place for the fine chronological details of all Events and Attributes together with their Source citations.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

On the Text tab of the Diagram Options dialog, you can select a standard text scheme: All Events and Attributes. This uses a Pre-Formatted Data Item which is mentioned in the FH Help for Edit Text Scheme Item Dialog:
The ‘<all events and attributes>’ item is an example of a Pre-Formatted Data item. If you insert this item, a complete set of a person’s events and attributes, in chronological order, will be displayed for that item.
I don't know any other way of getting all facts in chronological order.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Is there any possibility that the facility to list all items in a diagram in chronological order will be included in the next version of FH?
Last December Tatewise explained to me how to move the 'address' line up the diagram to appear below the 'place'. I have just started a new project and have created a custom diagram scheme to include this and the various events I use - thank you Tatewise it has worked brilliantly.
However it would be so much better if they were all in chronological order. I prefer to work with diagrams rather than reports as I can view the results as I input the data. I tend to use reports for printing out, but day to day I find diagrams much quicker, having expanded the boxes to the most appropriate size.
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

I have been carrying out further work on my 'all events and attributes' diagram and am pleased with the results so far, apart from the following:
Is it possible to combine the Census Residence with other Residence entries into one sentence so they appear in date order, as with occupations? - please see attached screen dump.
Thanks in anticipation.
Attachments
screen dump Thomas Maynard.jpg
screen dump Thomas Maynard.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The simple answer is 'NO' that is not possible.
As explained earlier, each type of Fact is listed in a block together.

The only way to interleave all those custom Resid-Census facts with the standard Residence facts would be to permanently change the all the custom Resid-Census facts into standard Residence facts.

Why have you found the need to have two types of fact for Residence?
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
I called them by different titles to indicate there were 2 types of residence fact, both of which needed to be read for a complete picture. I tried removing the -Cens from the title but it didn't make any difference.
The Census reference sentence for residence is: =ExistsText(%INDI.CENS[1+]%,"Resid -Cens:") %INDI.CENS[1+].DATE:COMPACT% in %INDI.CENS[1+].PLAC:TIDY% (%INDI.CENS[1+].ADDR%)
The Residence sentence is: =ExistsText(%INDI.RESI[1+]%,"Resid:") %INDI.RESI[1+].DATE:COMPACT% in %INDI.RESI[1+].PLAC:TIDY% (%INDI.RESI[1+].ADDR%)

Its not vital, more of a cosmetic enhancement. ;)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Changing the Custom Fact Title does not change the Fact Type.

You would need to use the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin to change the Custom Resid-Cens Fact into a Standard Residence Fact.
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Thank you, it worked a treat! :D :D