* Problems with Book saved as PDF

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
MLawrence
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Problems with Book saved as PDF

Post by MLawrence »

I have used the Publish Book feature in Family Historian v5.0.9 which has 331 pages including media. This displays OK on screen but when I save as PDF then several of the media images do not appear in the PDF file.
I tried changing the printer in Family Historian to FHPDF before saving again, but images are still missing from the PDF.

The majority of images are in the pdf but it seems to leave some out - these are the same file types as the others.

Any ideas?
BillH
Megastar

Re: Problems with Book saved as PDF

Post by BillH »

I don't know if this is the same problem that you are experiencing, but there is a bug in FH which causes some thumbnail images to be left out of a PDF file under certain circumstances. It happens for me when I generate a Descendants by Generation report and save it as a PDF. Calico Pie is aware of the problem and has told me that it will be fixed in the next release. For me the work around is to save only 40 pages to the PDF file at a time, appending the new 40 pages to the existing PDF file each time. I've never created a book using FH so I'm not sure if a similar work around will work for you.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this thread to the FH General Usage Forum as it is nothing to do with the User Group web site Forum.

Please could MLawrence set the Family Historian Version in your Profile via User Control Panel link at centre top.

It sounds like Bill's explanation fits.
Are the missing Media in fact thumbnails in the Sources section of Reports?
If you create a standalone Report (NOT in a Book) with the same details, are the Media similarly missing from the PDF?
If instead of a PDF you save as a Word-Processor Document (RTF) are all the Media included?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Thanks for the suggestions.

The images are those listed in Sources, I have set them for large images but, as before, some are missing. Unless I am mistaken, it is not straight forward to save just a subset of pages from the book? I did try modifying the Print to FH PDF to print just a few pages, which does include the images - so it is not a problem with the images themselves

I tried saving as Word RTF and many more images are missing from that file.

It may be the same issue as has been reported although these are not thumbnail images.

Regards
Margaret
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Hi Margaret,

When I called it a thumbnail image, I really just meant that it wasn't the full image, but rather a small image of the multi media. It can't be clicked on to get a larger image. It sounds like the problem you are experiencing is related to the one I had. My images were also within the sources section of the report.

You should probably report this to Calico Pie at the address support@family-historian.co.uk so they can determine if it is related or not.

Bill
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Hi Bill,

I think you are right. Thanks for the advice and I will report in now.

Regards
MArgaret
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Margaret,

Oh... in case it helps, the ticket number that Calico Pie gave me for the problem I was experiencing is #309577.

Bill
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

Thank you
Regards
Margaret