* Sorting sources under Windows 8

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mardler
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Sorting sources under Windows 8

Post by mardler »

In addition to being a new FH user, I've just switched computers and am now running FH in the Desktop under Win8.

Under Win7 when entering and sourcing new data items, I found that by clicking the Citations column in the Select Source window, FH ordered all my sources in line with the number of citations for every source, meaning that I can easily find and click on my most frequently cited sources. Marvelous time saver for someone with lots of new data to add (like me!)

OK, I can do that too under Win8, BUT in Win7 that source ordering was maintained so that the next time I opened that Select Source window, my sources were pre-ordered with the most frequently cited items at the top.

Doesn't happen in Win8. I have to use the Find Source field way too often. Does anyone know if there is a fix for it, please? I guess I could rename all my most frequently used sources so that they appear at the top of the list, but that feels a silly way out! It just feels strange that a program feature in Win7 doesn't work the same in Win8.
TIA for any help
Paul
www.howesfamilies.com
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Sorting sources under Windows 8

Post by LornaCraig »

I am using Windows 7 so cannot confirm what happens in Windows 8. However I believe that in Windows 7 what matters is the sort order in the Sources tab of the Records Window. Changing the sort order in the 'Select Source' box is only temporary, and the order reverts to the order in the Records Window. I would be surprised if this is different in Windows 8, so check the Records Window and if necessary change the sort order there.
Last edited by LornaCraig on 28 Sep 2013 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna
mardler
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by mardler »

Bingo! Thank you very much. 'Twas a forgotten detail from when I started using the program
Paul
www.howesfamilies.com
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

For switching PC check the how_to:move_settings|> Move Family Historian Settings & Projects advice.

In particular the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin will Backup ALL your settings on old PC and after copying the backup folder to your new PC the Restore option will reinstate them, even those set in the Windows Registry if you enable that option.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry