* V3 on new computer - help please

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jstark
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

V3 on new computer - help please

Post by jstark »

Hi,
Old XP computer has died (I'm told the motherboard is the problem). New PC will be Windows 7, and I am having the data transferred.
I have read the posts about re-installing V3, but still have queries that I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people can answer:
I have CDs for V2.1.6 and the V3 upgrade (after which all the V3 downloads)
I had intended upgrading to V5, but hadn't got round to it ( - house move, plus I needed to put all the links (thousands) in a suitable file structure first. Also, I'm one of those people who have numerous gedcom files for different mini one-name groups). Presumably it would be better for me to reinstall V3 on the new computer and then upgrade? Please can anyone help me stay sane :?

Thanks
joldies
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: V3 on new computer - help please

Post by Jane »

Have you read: how_to:reinstall_family_historian|How to (Re-)install Family Historian?

Personally I would buy V5 of Family Historian and install that on your new computer. Then you can use the Work With External File Links tool or the Check and Repair Media Links to re-attach all your media if the links break when you move to Windows 7.

You can convert all your gedcoms to Projects so there is no problem with that.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
jstark
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: V3 on new computer - help please

Post by jstark »

Thanks Jane,

I'd seen the article before and have now saved it. (My other problem is that our internet connection has got lost and we're having to use wifi for brief spells in cafes!)

You make it seem much easier than I'd thought!

joldies