* Local vs Shared Notes and Plugin

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gsward
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Local vs Shared Notes and Plugin

Post by gsward »

I have brought records into FH from different sources over time and have a combination of local notes and actual (shared) note records for individuals. All my shared notes are actually only linked to one record.

Clearly there are pros and cons of whichever method I use, but up to now I have not been consistent.

On balance it seems that with individual note records they can all be reported and edited in one place even though it makes the file larger and it is not quite so expedient to see which note relates to which record.

I have experimented with moving all my shared notes to Local notes using the plugin, but is there a method or plugin to move local notes to individual (shared) note records?

Thanks,

Graham

ID:6741
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It is perfectly possible to write a plugin to do this, as its a simple reverse of the process for converting them the other way.

I don't have one which does it currently though.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Jane, how far would it be down your to-do list?

Thanks,

Graham
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Currently quite a long way as I am really busy with my paid jobs at the moment.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Meanwhile, if you haven't used it already, you might find my little Plugin helpful: Notes List for Individual.

It is the only way of conveniently seeing all the Notes linked directly or indirectly to an Individual.  And you can double-click any entry in the Note results column to go directly to that Note, whether Local or Shared.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Thank you. Yes that neatly illustrates my dilemma.

Graham [smile]