* Charts  vs Reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Wilfreda99
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Charts  vs Reports

Post by Wilfreda99 » 07 Dec 2012 15:52

I usuallly work with charts, set at 'all events and attributes and rec notes, see uploaded image.  I like the way I have arranged it and would like the same layout in printed reports.  Is it possible to use the same layout in a template? I seem to remember seeing that it is not good practise to just copy the notes text from an event into the template box below - also this only works for individual narrative reports whereas I would probably use the family report.
PS - I uploaded the screen shot but it has disappeared so I'm not sure what I have done wrong.

Also - the 'all events etc' scheme contains pre-formatted data. I would like to be able to tweak it a bit, eg move the 'address' field next to the 'place' field rather than at the end of the event (currently I use it for the name of the church so it looks OK).  Would it be possible for someone to write a text scheme for 'all events etc' for selected events so that I could see the items used and play around with them? I tried to start one from scratch but have given up.  I only use a few events so could just select those to which I wish to apply this scheme.

Thanks in anticipation

ID:6635

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Charts  vs Reports

Post by tatewise » 08 Dec 2012 17:33

(1) Upload Image File

Note that your image file must not exceed 150KB otherwise it will not upload.
After using the Browse and submit buttons you should see this:

You must Click to insert Code to create UBBC code in the Text box:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.fhug.org.uk/images/uploads/fh_api_runtime1.png[/img]
and then you can click Close Window.

(2) Diagram Box v. Report Styles

Narrative Reports use Sentence Templates to create narrative sentences.
They cannot be customised to produce labelled lists similar to Diagram/Chart Box lists.

Individual Summary Reports and Family Group Sheets and Outline Reports already use labelled lists very similar to the Diagram/Chart Box lists, as shown below.

Example Diagram Box:

Example Individual Summary Report:

(3) Custom Text Scheme

The snag with All Events and Attributes, and Rec Notes is the entire Event list is pre-formatted and cannot be customised.

So, start with the Diagram Options > Text tab and look down the Text Schemes until you find one that includes most of the Events you use and includes Rec Notes + notes.
Select that Text Scheme and click the Clone button to create a custom copy, and click Edit to customise it.

To add the Address to each Event, select the Event (say Birth) and click Edit.
Add at %INDI.BIRT.ADDR% to the end of the Template and click Test button to check it is OK.
Note that different Events will have slightly different Data References, but the Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type and give it a name that you use via View > Custom Diagram Types.

One final change you may want is to add the parent Family to Birth Events.
So reopen the Edit Text Scheme window and double-click the from Available Items on the left.
Set Template to Family: %INDI.FAMC% and set Description to Family and click OK.
You will find it at the bottom of the Item list on the right, so use the up arrow button to move it up to just below Birth.

Wilfreda99
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Charts  vs Reports

Post by Wilfreda99 » 10 Dec 2012 14:25

Many thanks Tatewise. The file was 166kb so that explains my uploading problem. It looks similar to your sample so I probably don't need to bother.
Your example re reports seems to do exactly what I wanted so I will have another look at my data and get back if there are still any problems.
Thanks also for the help with the custom text scheme. I will have a go when I have more time to spare and, again, will contact you again if need some more help. I think its similar to what I tried before, but now I know that is the correct method I will be a little more diligent and not give up so easily!