* Full and medium backups not available?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jax67
Family Historian: None

Full and medium backups not available?

Post by Jax67 »

I have just upgraded to version 5, and had a panic while doing so when opening the file that I had been using in the trial version only to find there was a single name in it and no other data. I wondered if this was something to do with storing data somewhere other than the default folder - all I know is that eventually I have somehow managed to get the correct version on the screen, so I am very keen to back the full project up as soon as possible - but the only backup option is for the GEDCOM.

I would prefer not to 'try turning it off and on again', in case I can't access the correct file again - I have searched the knowledgebase and forum and found nothing, apologies if I have missed something, I would be very grateful if anyone can help!

Jackie

ID:6536
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

The reason FH only offers the Small Backup (Gedcom File Only) is that the version you have opened is just the GEDCOM file instead of a full Project.

With the trial version you presumably did create a Project.
Did you add any Multimedia image files or just populated the data base with people?

Did you store data other than the default folder? If so where?

Can you give us some clues as to where an how you have stored/found the 'correct version'.
Jax67

Post by Jax67 »

I do have multimedia showing up, but the only project file I can see is just a GEDCOM file - these are in the default folder. I copied the GEDCOM to the default folder from the one I had it in after transferring it from the previous computer, in the D: drive - but there is no project file there. I did take a backup last night (on the trial version), but I have a nasty suspicion it might have backed up the non-existent C: drive file - I tried restoring from it but still nothing apart from the name of the root person came up.

I have saved, but it does say '...GED - Family Historian Gedcom' at the top. I can't see any option to turn it into a project file.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jacqueline, a Project is not a file, but an entire folder & file structure including the GEDCOM file, Multimedia files, etc, etc.

See the Knowledge Base article Understanding Projects.
Also see how to Move Family Historian Settings & Projects.

On your old D: drive there should have been a folder structure such as:

Where Family Historian Sample Project will be replaced by your Project Name.
The Media folder is where your Multimedia image files should be located by default.
See the .ged file on the right - that is the GEDCOM file you have copied.
You need to copy the whole folder structure shown above, which constitutes a Project.
Jax67

Post by Jax67 »

Thank you - I had looked at that Knowledge Base article but didn't think that could be the problem, since I had a .GED file in the correct place, or so I thought! I had ended up with two folders, HINTON and HINTON (2), within the Family Historian Projects folder - it was using the (2) version, but I have now copied and removed the (2) from the correct .GED file into the main folder, reopened it, and lo and behold it now says it is a project and the alternative backup options are available.

I am still not sure what the problem was, since it appeared to be pointing to the correct version, and both folders had the same contents, just different names, but the main thing is that it is now sorted, so I am not going to question it!

Thank you so much for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Whew! I am glad that has worked out OK.
FH is quite fussy about the names of the various Project folders & files all being consistent, and for good reason, otherwise how does FH know it really is a Project.

Here is some housekeeping advice:

1) Use Tools > Work with External File Links and check two things.
Firstly, the File Links list should start - Project Data Folder - Media and not list any drive letters such as C: or D:.
Secondly, there should be no X marks against any of your File Links.

2) Ensure FH is updated to V5.0.7 from Latest Free Upgrade (version 5 users only).

If you need any help with these then please start a new Forum thread.