* Media seems to be missing following upgrade

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
hathor
Gold
Family Historian: None

Media seems to be missing following upgrade

Post by hathor »

I recently upgraded to V5 and now find that all my previously uploaded media does not show when I look at individual records or produce a report. When I look at View All Media, they are just showing as empty boxes with a cross.

Sorry, I know this has been dealt with before, but I cannot find the item after an hour of looking.

Is there an easy way of 'getting it all back', or am I facing having to upload each item again?

ID:6531
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

Are you using a Project?

When you open your file does it show Project on the Window Title Bar?

What does the Tools>Work With External File Links window show?

If you know where the files are on the disk, make sure your links show the same location.

There is a plugin in the Store which tries to repair broken media links for Projects. Make a full backup before using it just in case.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Can you please clarify how you upgraded to FH V5.

Did you simply install it over the FH V4 installation?

Have you also installed the free V5.0.7 upgrade?
hathor
Gold
Family Historian: None

Post by hathor »

Jane
I am using a Project. I have uploaded a screenshot to show what I am seeing, with the white boxes in the background, and the Work With External File Links window superimposed. Sorry, I do not know where the screenshot image uploaded to; I thought it would appear in this text box. Silly me!
The pathway to the media file appears to have a cross (X)on each element, with the name of each picture similarly crossed out.

I am a bit confused when you mention the files' location. The path described above shows that all the pictures were/are in the Media File of the GEDCOM in the Project. I think that is where I expected them to be, as I chose to incorporate them into the project when I added them ages ago. (I have had a 5-month break from family history, so I am feeling a bit all at sea anyway, tbh.) Or did you mean, do I know where I sourced each of the pictures from on my computer? Would I then have to find the locations individually and use the Re-map or Edit buttons to correct the pathway back to my original files? Does that mean they would no longer be part of the Project, but FH would 'read' the pictures from their original location, which presumably would only be possible if both picture files and FH were on the same computer?

Tatewise

I think I probably did install it over v4. I only purchased the v5 download this week, so I am very new to all this. I have not downloaded any upgrades. I suppose I assumed that one would be purchasing the most recent incarnation of the program, but I see now I was mistaken. The 'About' button tells me I have version 5.0.0.

Perhaps I will try the plugin next week, when I get back to my desk. It all seems a bit scary, though.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please use Windows Explorer and confirm that the media files do actually exist where you expect them.
i.e. Click on Start > My Documents and navigate to the Media folder something like My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects{YourProjectName}{YourProjectName}.fh_dataMedia...

BTW 5.0.7 is not a Plugin it is free upgrade at Latest Free Upgrade (version 5 users only).

PS We recognise your description of the X markers.
But to upload an image to this Forum use the Upload Image File maximum size 150Kb (.jpg , .gif , .png) link below the box and after selecting the file click Submit, and when successful click Click to insert Code to insert into box and then Close Window.