* xx Surname Sr.: Want to sort on surname not on 'Sr.'

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Danielbaker2
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

xx Surname Sr.: Want to sort on surname not on 'Sr.'

Post by Danielbaker2 »

I already know I can put in Sr. in the "More" dialog.

But I would like it to be visible as part of the name while I am navigating around FH, so that I can recognize Jacob Baker Sr. versus Jacob Baker Jr.

But... if I enter Sr. as part of the name, then it will sort with Sr's in the individual Records index and will carry down as last name Sr. when children's names are being added.

I have a lot of Sr's and Jr's in my ancestry.
Last edited by tatewise on 03 Aug 2021 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change " to ' in Subject
Gowermick
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: xx Surname Sr.: Want to sort on surname not on 'Sr.'

Post by Gowermick »

I’m not on my PC at present, but I believe if you put the surname between //‘s like Jacob /Baker/ Sr’, FH will treat the surname as Baker.
Last edited by tatewise on 03 Aug 2021 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
laz_gen
Famous

Post by laz_gen »

How about configuring the record screen to include a new column for the name prefix (using %INDI.NAME[1].NPFX%), then move that new column so it is adjacent to the existing name column.

That will allow you to see the individuals name prefix to tell them apart, and even sort on that prefix column.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mike Loney's suggestion is the way to achieve the Snr and Jnr suffixes.
i.e.
Jacob /Baker/ Sr.
Jacob /Baker/ Jr.

I suspect you are simply typing Jacob Baker Sr. and Jacob Baker Jr. into the Name box.
FH automatically assumes the last word (i.e. Sr. and Jr.) is the Surname shown in uppercase (i.e. SR. and JR.).
The word Baker is assumed to be a middle forename, shown in title-case (i.e. Baker).

See Tools > Preferences > Property Box setting for Show Surnames Between Slashes.
I advise you set that to Always so there is no doubt which Name part is the Surname.

Similar problems can arise with multi-word Surnames such as Van de Burgh where by default the slashes will surround just Burgh unless you enter them explicitly.

%INDI.NAME[1].NPFX% will not work in this context as that is not integral with the Name field but a subsidiary field.
Anyway, for a suffix such as Sr. and Jr. it would be the %INDI.NAME[1].NSFX% field.
However, neither of those fields are shown in the Focus Window or Records Window at the end of the Name.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
laz_gen
Famous

Post by laz_gen »

I was thinking about suffix but ended up writing prefix in my suggestion.

I have columns for both prefix and suffix showing in my record window and find it very helpful especially as this data is normally hidden within the "More" dialogue window, and not normally visible unless you think to open it to look.
Last edited by tatewise on 03 Aug 2021 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is why it is usually neater to add the suffix after the /surname/ in the Name field.
Then it shows in the Property Box Main tab, Focus Window, Records Window, Diagrams, Reports, etc, by default.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Danielbaker2
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Danielbaker2 »

Actually I did find the /LASTNAME/ info in the help somewhere. It didn't jump out at me when I did a search for the specific subject. But I'm happy: found and tested it.