* Query Labels are Multi-prompted

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
admin
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Query Labels are Multi-prompted

Post by admin »

>> According to the manual, if the same label is used for multiple parameters it should not re-prompt for a value. But it does.
Yes, I'm afraid that's a bug. Sorry about that. It will be fixed in the next release. What should happen is that if you use the same label for data of the same type (e.g. all dates, all numbers, or all text values) you should get one prompt for all of them. If you used the same label for data of, say, 3 different types, you would get 3 prompts - one for each data type. That's what will happen in the next release. In the current version, it gives you a different prompt for each item of data if the event or attribute (or whatever) that it is associated with is different.
> - is there any way of getting the value of 'Date' into the TITLE or SUBTITLE (e.g. 'Alive on 31 March 1901')??
No, but its a good idea. For that matter, it would be nice to be able to add any kind of data type to a title field (e.g. plain text) as part of a prompt when you run the query. That one stands a reasonably good chance of making it into the next release because although not really high priority it should be pretty easy to implement.
> - is there any way of including individuals in the family tree, for whom I don't yet have Birth or Death dates, but who fall in a generation between other individuals who are selected by date as alive at the given date?
I can't see how you could with existing query facilities. The issue of identifying a group of people who were alive, or probably alive, at a given time has cropped up several times now, though. One possible way of solving it would be for me to create 2 functions: =NearestAncestorBirth and =NearestDescendantBirth. Both of these would return a person's birth date if they had one. If not, they would return the nearest birth date of their nearest ancestor/descendant, if that makes sense. Then you could use these functions to exclude anyone whose nearest ancestor birth came after the required date, or whose nearest descendant birth came (say) over 100 years before the required date. How would that be? (And before you ask, no there are currently no arithmetic functions in F.H. and its not at a high priority to add them - you'd have to specify the '100 years before' date yourself in a separate prompt). Any thoughts?
Simon Orde List Administrator and Family Historian designer