* Free Findmypast and Family Historian Webinar

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
joanchop
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Re: Free Findmypast and Family Historian Webinar

Post by joanchop »

Bill
If it's any consolation, I had exactly the same problem, a black screen!! I too use the browser Firefox and run on Windows 10. But the link to the webinar worked perfectly on my iPad!!
After watching the webinar, I agree with Mike and Valkrider, it was not worth the hype.
But would love to sort out the problem before the next webinar!!
One Name Study - Istance (http://istance.one-name.net/)
Family Tree Surnames - Lyall, Phelps, Mackey
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Aye Colin,

I guessed as much after Googling it. ;) Keep riding the bike, its good therapy after some genealogical 'brick walls'! Bit cold here at -6°C and still falling, tonight.
Good health, Bill
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Good evening Joan,
Thank you for your consoling words. I think the problem relates to specific sites and the code they are using to publish/launch their videos. WHY? I cannot answer. I can cope with binary arithmetic, just, but algebra and logic are not in my wiring. ;) If I find or somebody shows me the definitive 'fix' to cure the problem I will post it into this thread.
My regards, Bill
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Not sure if your video display problem is exclusively in Firefox, but if it is then try turning off Hardware Acceleration in Firefox's Settings if it is selected. The usual default setting is to have "Use hardware acceleration if available" ticked, but this is known to cause problems with some (unspecified) graphics cards and driver setups. Relaunch Firefox after making the change and try the video again. If this doesn't work, at least you will have eliminated that as a possible cause!

See: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems for more info.

Mervyn
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Good evening Mervyn, thank you for your suggestion. I have given it a try and it makes no difference to my inability to view some videos, so I have reverted to the 'default' Firefox setting. If I find the solution, I shall post it on here.
My regards, Bill
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jmurphy »

Thanks to the link to the Firefox support article. I've been having persistent problems with my video driver. I've turned off the option for Firefox to use the acceleration -- it will be interesting to see if this makes Firefox crash less often.