* Free Findmypast and Family Historian Webinar

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Free Findmypast and Family Historian Webinar

Post by Jane »

From the Family Historian Bulletin
Findmypast is teaming up with Calico Pie to hold a free webinar entitled Discovering Family Historian & Findmypast Attendees will discover how to get the most out of the Findmypast hinting feature within Family Historian (sometimes also called 'Automatic Internet Data Matching'). The webinar will happen on Thursday, October 27, 2016, at 4pm, British Summer Time (UTC+1), and will last about an hour. Register Now if you wish to attend.

Don't worry if you have never attended a webinar before - all instructions will be provided. All you need is a computer and an Internet connection. There will be an initial presentation followed by a Question and Answer session with experts from both Findmypast and Family Historian. It's a great opportunity to learn more about Findmypast and about this very popular and useful feature, and to get your questions answered. And if that isn't incentive enough, attendees will get a code entitling them to 20% discount on annual subscriptions (local or world) to Findmypast.
Even if the time means it's the middle of the night where you are, you can register and you should receive a link to watch the recording later.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Tony Jones
Diamond

Re: Free Findmypast and Family Historian Webinar

Post by Tony Jones »

Thanks Jane, I've registered
joanchop
Diamond

Post by joanchop »

Hi
I missed the webinar. Don't know if I was doing anything wrong, but after using the link emailed, a summary page came up, then went to a black screen entitled 'Event Consol', and then nothing. I logged in about 5 minutes before. Even did the computer test and got the short video, so all was okay. Will I be able to watch it at a later date?
HippoJon
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by HippoJon »

I had exactly the same experience as the previous FHUG member. Most frustrating and a complete waste of time I have e-mailed Calico direct about this. I was looking forward to the event and would probably take up the offer of the Find My Past discount having been an Ancestry user for many years. Their 39 Register is very tempting and I believe their Parish Records are more extensive.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Same problem here. It eventually started working after the end of the Webinar with the Q & A details.
I had been trying on both Firefox and IE with the same black Event Console screen.

Apparently everyone who registered will be automatically sent another link to watch the Webinar over again after 24 hours.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I got about 2 minutes of the webinar part way through and then just got 'buffering' clearly too many viewers and not enough bandwidth at their end.
Last edited by Valkrider on 17 Nov 2016 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

I tried to register and before the start of the webinar and it appeared that my ISP connection was intermittent. I don't think my registration was made? I tried several times during the period the webinar was in progress to make contact and couldn't make a link with the server. In spite of this I have still registered, albeit post webinar, when I was able to make the link to the server. I am using Firefox.

Hopefully, I will be able to view the webinar in full in the near future. Yes, the offer of a 20% discount was an incentive, but I am still not sure or confident at using the software, even though it appears from others comments to be able "to do" all I desire and more! Vexed that I couldn't view what I thought would be a confidence inspiring presentation.

My thanks to all the others posting, especially 'Tatewise', if he can't view the webinar what chance do us mortals have?

My regards, Bill
TimTreeby
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by TimTreeby »

Don't know why others had problems, but worked perfectly fine for me.
Yes everyone who registered should be emailed a link to watch the webinar at their leisure.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

As Tim says anyone registered should get a link and a discount voucher for FMP. As those who got in may have noticed I was "helping out" on the Q&A and it was a very busy session. Hopefully I can persuade Calico to offer some sessions themselves in the future.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I was disappointed that when asked about Accepting/Rejecting hints from non-UK records with only a UK subscription, the answer was to buy a Worldwide subscription!
There are other scenarios where this applies, such as when the user knows about a hint and does not want to waste PAYG credits to Reject it.
joanchop
Diamond

Post by joanchop »

Hi
Just wondering if I can pick someone's brain please, as I cannot even use the link to view the webinar. Have decided my computer is blocking the site saying the 'connection is not secure' and have not 'granted this site any special permissions', Event Console, that is. I am running on Firefox browser but also have Edge installed. Also have Rappor, which is also saying Event 24 is an unprotected site. Help please?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Are you trying to use the original link to yesterdays live webinar or a new link to the recorded replay?

Although according to topic Webinar in General Usage Forum either should work.

You may have to disable things like Trusteer Rapport.
joanchop
Diamond

Post by joanchop »

Hi
Used the link received pm today. Will try disabling Trusteer Rapport and Nortons and see what happens. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks.
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

tatewise wrote:I was disappointed that when asked about Accepting/Rejecting hints from non-UK records with only a UK subscription, the answer was to buy a Worldwide subscription!
There are other scenarios where this applies, such as when the user knows about a hint and does not want to waste PAYG credits to Reject it.
Whilst I appreciate that these 'aids and links' can make genealogy 'easier' and 'enhance the users experience', the cynic in me is crying "Cash cow!" for CalicoPie and D. C. Thompson! "Tatewise's" last sentence illustrates my point. Maybe v6.2.2 isn't worth the hype and complication?

I would like to be proved wrong.
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

The web is full of reports from people reporting problems due to Trusteer Rapport, from 2009 right up to the present day. I don't understand why banks (in particular) continue to recommend it, and don't seem to have put any pressure on the supplier to get it fixed, but then maybe IBM thinks it knows better!

I removed it (years ago) after a month of slow PC, crashes, freezes, unable to access various web sites at times (including the bank that wanted me to install it).
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Personally I have found the hints quite useful, of course you don't need to use them and they are easy enough to turn off. As for the Cash cow comment, I am all for Calico making some money, when you consider in real terms how cheap Family Historian is. These days £36 hardly buys a meal for two in a restaurant.

Remember if you are not happy with the "Reject" without subscription to World, email support at Findmypast as any pressure really needs to be applied to DC Thompson by people who are paying them money.
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

@themoudie - you already seem to have paid for FH V6 so the V6.2.2 upgrade is free and not a Calico Pie cash cow. Anyway there are plenty of V6 improvements that make its cost worthwhile. The inability to Reject hints without full subscription is annoying but not a showstopper.
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Thank you Jane and 'tatewise, I accept my comment towards Calico Pie may have been unnecessarily harsh and apologise if offence has been taken. In the interim I shall continue to use my v6.2.2 and ignore the FindMyPast indicators; I have more than enough to be getting on with trying to bring my relations into the database and will continue to read and enjoy your contributions in FHUG. I also now have the v6 Manual to read and digest!

My regards, Bill
JNSgenealogy
Family Historian: V6

Post by JNSgenealogy »

Unfortunately I missed the notice of this Webinar (my fault totally), Is it possible to link to it so I can view ?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, click on the 'Discovering Family Historian & Findmypast' link in Jane's first posting, and it should re-run the Webinar.
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Good evening tatewise,
Thank you for your guidance in your last post. However, when I try to use the link in Janes initial message, I am still confronted with a black screen. By using the 'Back' arrow at the right-hand end of the 'address' window I can get the address to reload and briefly view a white screen with blue writing and a "Launch Presentation" button, but the screen defaults to black in less than a second! This can be repeated ad nauseum!

I cannot 'grab' a copy of the link that is trying to load the screen, to compare it with that used in Janes message link: http://event.on24.com/wcc/r/1285809/466 ... A7F6DA5D16, but it isn't the same as this, as it appears that you are re-directed from this address!

This is the address from the address window, after the window goes black: http://event.on24.com/eventRegistration ... ode=launch The fact that I can see the word "false" repeatedly appearing in this address leads me to think that a programme is looking for a "mobile device", but all I am using is a desktop PC, with MS 'Security Essentials' v4.10.205.0 and Malwarebytes v2.2.1.1043, the latter being the 'Free' version that I only run after updating and on demand.

I am using Windows7, with Mozilla 'Firefox' as my browser, I don't have 'Trusteer Rapport' loaded and I am not getting any messages as to the reason my computer may be 'blocking' the webinar. I have Adobe Flash Player 23 NPAPI v23.0.0.207 on my machine, along with Microsoft Silverlight v5.1.50901.0. I get similar problems when trying to view videos on the BBC website, but not from YouTube. Whether the viewers are 'fighting', I haven't a clue! If you don't have a clue, please say so and I shall either find a sledgehammer, a bonafide technician or ....! The binary system is so simple, but I am just not wired for 0 and 1.

Thank you for your time and patience. Bill
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Bill

IMHO the webinar was not really worth the hype that went with it. I certainly learnt nothing new and thought it was a waste of my time. YMMV.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bill, those links still work on both my desktops (Vista and Win 10) in Firefox V49.0.2, with Adobe Flash Player 23 NPAPI 23.0.0.205 but not Silverlight, which may be the problem. It is unlikely to do much harm to remove Silverlight as it is nowadays almost redundant.

But as Valkrider says, the Webinar hype was greater than its content. It spends some time summarising FH for viewers who haven't used it, and promoting the search features of FMP. Only a fraction is devoted to FH Internet Data Search FMP 'hints' and even that is fairly superficial. You are not missing much.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Aye Valkrider and Mike,
My thanks to you both for your positive responses. The YMMV had me baffled :? but that isn't difficult, with 'text' speak!

I uninstalled the Silverlight and updated the Adobe Flash Player to v23.0.0.207, rebooted, then cleaned up the drive and defragged. Resulting in quicker drive and when the videos run, they appear to start and run more smoothly; BUT, no change for the tutorial, some BBC NEWS videos or Screwfix ads that lock the screen! :roll: So, I will move on from the tutorial.

My regards, Bill
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

;)

Y (Your)
M (Mileage)
M (May)
V (Vary)

US text speak meaning you may not agree with me