Search found 2111 matches

by AdrianBruce
15 Apr 2024 17:13
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 15 Apr 2024 16:45 ...We try to keep the rules about behaviours, not technologies. The extra detail is in the Forum Usage post in the KB.
Which I see has the full explanation now, thanks.
by AdrianBruce
15 Apr 2024 15:39
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

There seems to be a focus in this discussion on technology, rather than on behaviour. ... The text seems OK to me, Helen. Personally, I'm still not convinced that "All defamatory [etc.] ... are strictly prohibited" wouldn't cover it but it's not my board and rules. I believe that you do h...
by AdrianBruce
14 Apr 2024 09:03
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

Ah, yes, John. So I was wrong about needing to access that tab on the Control Panel - or rather, that's not the only way to access Private Messages. If PMs are enabled then I'd see the Private Messages envelope icon on my toolbar. At least, that's what happens on another PHP board that I'm on where ...
by AdrianBruce
14 Apr 2024 06:36
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

The essential principles of what to think about still hold, Mark, as does the relevance of the Control Panel to Off-Board emails. But yes, regrettably all the plumbing instructions appear to be wrong. I can imagine people switching off PMs in the Control Panel and getting upset when they still recei...
by AdrianBruce
13 Apr 2024 22:17
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

If mods can send PMs, could they then send one to a none mod and if so how would they read it? Well, that's a good question. Right at the very top, Jane said "Admins and moderators will always be able to contact you." But if I cannot access the PM tab where I can see PMs, how would I see ...
by AdrianBruce
13 Apr 2024 22:10
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

jelv wrote: 13 Apr 2024 22:02... I've added you as a friend - has that made a difference?
No - the contact bubble still offers only emails and I still have no visibility of the PM tab in Control Panel.
by AdrianBruce
13 Apr 2024 21:37
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

I have PMs enabled in User Control Panel, Board Preferences. Can anyone see to PM me? If I click the Contact Speech bubble for you, it only gives me the option to email you. And, as I said, I have no visibility of the (genuine) PM tab that I can see on other boards. As for "the option should b...
by AdrianBruce
13 Apr 2024 21:26
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

... The recipient receives an E-mail from FHUG forwarding the initiator’s message and reply E-mail address. If the intended recipient has messages disabled, that option is not visible, so they cannot receive any direct messages from other ordinary users. I’m not aware of any other way of doing it, ...
by AdrianBruce
13 Apr 2024 20:53
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

Bill - I'm now completely confused because I've checked on a phpBB Board where I do have PM - it's on the User Control Panel, on a tab called Private Messages between Board Preferences and UserGroups. No sign of it on FHUG...
by AdrianBruce
13 Apr 2024 20:12
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

BillH wrote: 13 Apr 2024 17:44 This is a bit off topic, but I was wondering if someone could explain how to do a PM on FHUG. I've looked around and can't find it. I see how to send an email, but not a PM.
Hesitant because I'm not sure myself - but is this because everyone you've looked at has PMs switched off?
by AdrianBruce
13 Apr 2024 11:32
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

... As Tamara has said, it was a baked in assumption -- Jane is going to document what had been assumed to be obvious. ... It may be because I'm a bloke but it absolutely wasn't a baked-in assumption from me. My assumption was that the facility exists and that it's therefore intended to be used. In...
by AdrianBruce
12 Apr 2024 20:11
Forum: Web Site Usage
Topic: Private Messages
Replies: 49
Views: 1445

Re: Private Messages

Why not? Perhaps to offer private advice if a "discussion" is getting acrimonious...? It would be perfectly reasonable to do that below the radar. Indeed - with a security hat on (not that I ever went in for one much), asking, "Can I set up a confidential dialogue with you?" and...
by AdrianBruce
11 Apr 2024 22:17
Forum: Sources, Citations & Repositories
Topic: filling out a source template
Replies: 5
Views: 211

Re: filling out a source template

I am sorry for the elementary nature of this question. ... Firstly I must confess that I don't use Source Templates so I may be missing the normal way of using them. But I don't think that you're asking an elementary question at all... ... I'm using the Essentials Source Template for Civil Registra...
by AdrianBruce
10 Apr 2024 22:20
Forum: Genealogy News
Topic: For citation nerds
Replies: 13
Views: 792

Re: For citation nerds

I notice from Chris Paton's blog that Evidence Explained 4th edition is available through its publisher in an ebook format. See https://genealogical.com/store/evidence-explained-4th-edition/ It's $47.50 for the ebook as against $65.00. The ebook format is something that's available only on the Books...
by AdrianBruce
08 Apr 2024 21:05
Forum: Sources, Citations & Repositories
Topic: Question about citations added to Media records
Replies: 11
Views: 341

Re: Question about citations added to Media records

... I have no idea how it [ SOURCE_CITATION inside a MULTIMEDIA_RECORD - I hope! AB] was intended to be used (we need to consult the gedcom gurus for that) ... Unless one ploughed all the way through all sorts of intermediate documents, I suspect that there's no current evidence of anyone's intenti...
by AdrianBruce
08 Apr 2024 16:18
Forum: Ancestral Sources
Topic: Monumental Inscriptions - thoughts?
Replies: 33
Views: 1169

Re: Monumental Inscriptions - thoughts?

... There is no value in an entry like "After 1905" - it is an assumption based on the inscription. ... Yes, on reflection I agree with that. The record of the source needs to contain only what is clear from the real-life source. Depending on your point of view and working practices, you ...
by AdrianBruce
04 Apr 2024 20:42
Forum: Ancestral Sources
Topic: Monumental Inscriptions - thoughts?
Replies: 33
Views: 1169

Re: Monumental Inscriptions - thoughts?

1. Monumental Inscription is what I call them. 2. Fundamentally, for me, the date is the earliest date when I think the stone was erected . But this can be unclear. Normally I would put something like "After dd/mm/yyyy" where dd/mm/yyyy is the physically first death date on the stone. So i...
by AdrianBruce
20 Mar 2024 21:26
Forum: Closed Wish List Requests
Topic: [Wish List 641] Templates: Input form labels
Replies: 23
Views: 539

Re: Templates: Input form labels

So basically, so far as I can see now, after looking at Template snippet1.pdf in particular, we're just looking at a convenient, permanent , label, for a group of fields appearing on a Templated Source Record. Seems eminently sensible to me - especially if you're someone like me who likes a long ser...
by AdrianBruce
16 Mar 2024 13:13
Forum: Sources, Citations & Repositories
Topic: Overriding ":REVERSE" in a bibliography
Replies: 26
Views: 361

Re: Overriding ":REVERSE" in a bibliography

... If you used the template {Principal:SURNAME}<, {Principal:GIVEN}> then using /Great Western Railway/ works fine as well as John /Smith/ . ... Yes, that might well work where just one name is involved. It requires forgetting about :REVERSE which might be thought perverse. (sorry!) ... The proble...
by AdrianBruce
16 Mar 2024 13:06
Forum: Sources, Citations & Repositories
Topic: Overriding ":REVERSE" in a bibliography
Replies: 26
Views: 361

Re: Overriding ":REVERSE" in a bibliography

Gary - I'm getting further tied in knots considering how to process multiple authors. If I enter the "author" as "George Jackson Churchward and Charles Collett" then, as you will guess, the default Bibliography (with Reversed Author) appears as "Collett, George Jackson Churc...
by AdrianBruce
16 Mar 2024 12:50
Forum: Sources, Citations & Repositories
Topic: Overriding ":REVERSE" in a bibliography
Replies: 26
Views: 361

Re: Overriding ":REVERSE" in a bibliography

The crux of the matter is surely that organisation names appearing in a :REVERSE "author" item get treated as if they were a human name. In other words, "Great Western Railway" gets shown (by default) as "Railway, Great Western". Which isn't the end of the world in that...
by AdrianBruce
14 Mar 2024 22:30
Forum: Research
Topic: England & Wales Probate Calendar images
Replies: 25
Views: 3085

Re: England & Wales Probate Calendar images

Gary_G wrote: 14 Mar 2024 22:25... Having said that; the same can also true for templates, if one doesn't make the field definitions too specific. That's my challenge. :D
That's what I (as a non-template user) was hoping. Cross fingers and hope!
by AdrianBruce
14 Mar 2024 22:28
Forum: Research
Topic: FindMyPast: Northaw parish registers
Replies: 6
Views: 295

Re: FindMyPast: Northaw parish registers

Tamara - for some reason I felt compelled to have a look at the Northaw registers. You may know this already but there appears to have been a serious fire there - the 1769-1812 register is only present on FMP as a transcript because the original was so badly burned. Some of the marriages are from a ...
by AdrianBruce
14 Mar 2024 22:11
Forum: Research
Topic: England & Wales Probate Calendar images
Replies: 25
Views: 3085

Re: England & Wales Probate Calendar images

... I'm starting to see a disturbing trend. To cite the same type of type of collection for different countries, it's already clear that I pretty much need to create a separate template for each country. Now I'm also finding that the search parameters on each site, for a given collection, can diffe...
by AdrianBruce
10 Mar 2024 21:04
Forum: Ancestral Sources
Topic: Question about scope of records handled by A.S.
Replies: 35
Views: 2459

Re: Question about scope of records handled by A.S.

Gary_G wrote: 10 Mar 2024 19:01 Sounds like using a pull-down is not going to work. There are numerous permutations and combinations of submission content on any given date. A text field will have to be used to capture exactly what was filed on a given date.
I agree.