Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG)
The two methods for migrating from TMG to ƒh are Import TMG Project and Import GEDCOM File. However, Import TMG Project does not support TMG V7 or earlier, so install the TMG V9 for US or UK below. See also posting Import TMG project failure.
- tmg9setup.exe TMG Version 22.214.171.124 US
- tmg905uksetup.exe TMG Version 126.96.36.199 UK
Apply these tips to your TMG Project before migration to ƒh.
If details such as Memos are not imported to ƒh then in TMG run all File > Maintenance options and try again.
If some Citations are not imported to ƒh (other than as noted below) then this technique may help. Create a blank TMG Project and merge it with your main TMG Project, then all expected Citations should be imported.
Add details about TMG data sets, projects, and merging, plus how to copy TMG Projects for Direct Import to FH on another PC. See Forum postings Merging 2 trees.
Import TMG Project
Ensure TMG is not running.
Use File > Project Window and the New Project button, select Import from other family tree file and browse to the TMG (.tmg or .pjc) Project file. In ƒh Version 6.0 click Next> and review the TMG Import Options using the Help button to obtain advice. Click Next> to complete the dialogue.
This works well with most TMG versions and includes Witness details, BUT please ensure you are using the Family Historian Version 5.0.11 Upgrade or Family Historian Version 6.2.2 Upgrade. You can check this by selecting Help > About Family Historian on the menu.
Calico Pie Limited recommend using the TMG direct import as this includes Witnesses. ƒh Version 6.0 imports them as Fact Witnesses. ƒh Version 5.0.11 imports them in a Note against the Fact, allowing them to be processed later using Plugins in ƒh Version 6.0 if required. They ask that any problems are reported to them directly via the firstname.lastname@example.org if possible including a small sample database showing the problem.
The TMG items are imported as the following ƒh items by the Family Historian Version 6.2.2 Upgrade. The import is similar using ƒh Version 5.0.11, but not so comprehensive as explained later.
- Every Person is an Individual Record
- Every Relationship Tag is a Family Record link between parent & child
- Every Source is a Source Record with all elements in labelled Notes
- Every Repository is a Repository Record
- Every Exhibit is a Media Record
- Every Name Tag is an Individual Name instance
- Every Tag with 1 Principal Person is an Individual Fact (Event/Attribute) e.g. Birth & Death
- Every Tag with 2 Principal Persons as parents is a Family Fact (Event/Attribute) e.g. Marriage
- Every Tag with 2 Principal Persons not parents is an Individual Fact of 1st with 2nd as Witness
- Every Witness is a Witness of the associated Fact
- Every Citation on every item above is a Citation except:
- Every Citation on a Relationship Tag is omitted
- Every Citation linking a Source to a Source is omitted
- Every Flag is a Flag but the Yes/No/? values are omitted
- The Repository of the first Source Record is omitted
- Every link from a Place, Citation, or Repository to its Media is omitted
- All Bookmarks are omitted.
Known FH V5+ Problems
It seems that the ƒh V5 TMG direct import may not be working on Windows XP and Vista. If no data is imported on these OS please ensure you are running with an Administrator level user, this is not needed for normal operation, but may be needed when importing the TMG Foxpro database. The ƒh V6 TMG direct import is believed to be OK.
All the following cases exist in the sample database of the TMG Trial V9 at least for the [Record Id] listed.
- In FH V5, the Witnesses are in Notes, so Citations only exist for the Fact of the Principal Person(s), which is similar to TMG, and mostly just affects:
- [Census ] ] Tag Types where [ (w); ] appears in Name/Place with the Principal Person. [I1]
- [Witness ] Tag Types where [ Marriage: ] is in Name/Place with two Principal Persons. [I1] in [F23]
- Any TMG Note Tag becomes a Record Note but its Date & Citations are omitted. [I32] & [I33]
- Any TMG Tag with 2 Principal Persons who are not parents becomes a Fact for both Principal Persons, but any Citations are omitted for Principal Person 2. Occupation of [I10]
- All Citations linking a Source to a Source are omitted. [S27] to [S11]
- The Repository of the first Source Record is omitted. [S1] & [R1]
- In FH V5, the E-mail Message and Electronic Web Site URL are omitted from Source Records.
- All links from any Place or Citation or Repository to their Multimedia are omitted.
Thus there will often be a different set of Facts and far fewer Citations in ƒh than in TMG. The above Tag Types are listed in TMG Tools > Master Events List and Tools > Master Tag Type List.
Import GEDCOM File
TMG does NOT appear to export any Witness associations into the GEDCOM file.
The Utility ~ TMG to FH Gedcom Converter will help convert this GEDCOM file before importing into FH. This may correctly report PAGE text too long in SOUR for record I99 but can be ignored because FH tolerates such over long text.
Use File > Project Window and the New Project button, and select Import a GEDCOM file. The dialogue is uncomplicated, but in the Check for word-wrapping errors window, select Each row contains 1 word with a hyphen in the middle.
Many of these issues only apply to a GEDCOM import, but some also apply to a direct import.
Any Multimedia record file Format fields with trailing space characters are treated as Other Multimedia that prevents images being displayed. These fields can be globally changed using the Search and Replace Plugin and its Multimedia Format & Linked File fields option.
If a married Individual has no link to their Family, then in TMG ensure that the Marriage tag is ticked as Primary.
The UK variant of TMG offers special event tags such as Census 1841, Census 1851, etc, which when exported become GEDCOM Custom Events. To change these in TMG use Tools > Master Tag Type List, select the event tag name, click Edit and on the Other tab set GEDCOM export as Tag: CENS or whatever standard GEDCOM tag is appropriate. Alternatively, the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin can be used in FH.
TMG formatting codes within Template Sentences and Memos will appear in FH Notes as plain text such as [BOLD:], [:BOLD], [UND:], [:UND], [ITAL:], [:ITAL], etc. They may be removed using the Search and Replace Plugin in LUA Pattern Mode with Search string %[.-%] on Note fields only.
Quick Fix Plugins
The following Plugins have been found beneficial by users importing from TMG. They usually produce a Result Set of changed items, and double-clicking any item should open its Property Box for review. To cancel the Plugin changes, use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before closing FH.
Move Death Event local Note to Cause field
If any Death local Note has more than one paragraph, then only the first is copied, and the whole Note retained.
Move Lat,Long in Place Name to Lat/Long field
If after moving the Lat,Long value to the Lat/Long field, the Place name clashes with another Place record, then the Plugin attempts to Merge them. If unsuccessful, the Lat,Long value is retained in the Place name as listed in the Result Set, and the two records must be Merged by hand.
Import Relationship Citations
Give Witnesses Their Own Facts
The Witnesses when entering Census data Forum thread discusses techniques for recording Census Events that are summarised in Recording Census Records. TMG typically uses one Census Event with multiple Witnesses, whereas ƒh offers better support for multiple Census Events with a common Source Citation. The Plugin Give Witnesses Their Own Facts offers to convert multiple Census Witnesses to multiple Census Events, but ensure you have a recovery backup, just in case the results are not as expected!
See the Forum threads:
- Migrating to FH from TMG September 2011 ~ Problems due to Multimedia > Format trailing spaces
- Migration from TMG to FH5 March 2014 ~ OK
- Gedcom errors April 2014 ~ Minor errors all corrected OK
- Census details import to Family Historian 5 from TMG April 2014 ~ Witness and UK Census problems
- Selected TMG Source field not migrating to FH Sep/Oct 2014
- Import from TMG - Missing Some Citations Sep/Oct 2014
- TMG Import & extra code Feb 2015 ~ TMG formatting codes