* Simple Marriage Certificate Plugin

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Normie
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Simple Marriage Certificate Plugin

Post by Normie »

I have written and been using a plugin to record marriage certificates for about a year. This plugin uses the Civil Registration Certificate source template from the essential collection. Whist there are alternatives such as the DEA plugin or Ancestral Sources, I thought this provided an easier method of entry.

After some thought, I have decided that I will add it to the plugin store for consideration.

The screen is a single form where all the information is collected in one place:
Saved Marriage.jpg
Saved Marriage.jpg (468.1 KiB) Viewed 443 times
If accepted, the source for the plugin should be available later from the plugin store.

I attach a user guide to explain how it is used and the results it produces.
Attachments
Simple Marriage Certificate.pdf
(434.15 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Norman Martin
Normie
Diamond

Re: Simple Marriage Certificate Plugin

Post by Normie »

This plugin has now been added to the plugin store.

The source code should now be available to download from there.
Norman Martin
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Hi Normie,

While I generally prefer and use Ancestral Sources, I decided to give your plugin a test. Alas, it failed for me. I use a 17" Win10 Pro laptop, yet the display on your plugin ran off the top and bottom of the page and effectively froze FH for me, forcing me to kill it using Task Manager. Attached is a screenshot:
SimpleMarriageCertPlugin.jpg
SimpleMarriageCertPlugin.jpg (203.12 KiB) Viewed 343 times
I couldn't find a way to adjust it at all.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As a plugin author, using iuplua, it is necessary to consider a wide (and narrow) variety of monitor screen sizes.
So you may need to split the dialogue into several tabs.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Simpler and quicker to add scrollbars?
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

As a general UI design point, I think scroll bars are better for a large form where it will all need completing, and tabs are better if there is a hierarchy of options (so common options are in the default tab, with others in minor tabs).

If you go for tabs, you will still have to ensure the UI copes with a range of screen sizes, and getting the UI to resize neatly can be a significant challenge if the individual tabs are too busy.
Mark Draper
Normie
Diamond

Post by Normie »

Thanks for trying this out. Sorry had not taken into account that the screen may be too large.

Scrollbars would be the nicer option, something I had adapted the help screen to have. The intention was to avoid tabs so that everything is visible on a single screen.

I will explore what options are possible, maybe allow customisation based on screen resolution. Will update plugin when I work out a solution and post back on this thread.

Thanks for feedback.
Norman Martin
Normie
Diamond

Post by Normie »

fhtess65 wrote: 13 Apr 2024 17:01 Hi Normie,

Alas, it failed for me. I use a 17" Win10 Pro laptop, yet the display on your plugin ran off the top and bottom of the page and effectively froze FH for me, forcing me to kill it using Task Manager. Attached is a screenshot:SimpleMarriageCertPlugin.jpg

I couldn't find a way to adjust it at all.
Apologies for this - I tend to use ALT F4 to kill the top most window. In this case it may have closed the screen and left FH in touch.

Ignoring that, I have now added a scroll bar covering the certificate details. Hopefully this will cope with smaller screens.
Marriage Scroll Bar.jpg
Marriage Scroll Bar.jpg (286.15 KiB) Viewed 268 times
You can resize the dialog to make more fields visible. If your screen resolution is large enough, you will be able to show all the fields, when the scrollbar should disappear and the form look like the original version. The current resolution of the form is saved whenever you save a certificate, this saving you from having to change the resolution each time.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue you encountered.

I will update the plugin in the store and post here when that has been updated.
Norman Martin
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Oops - forgot I could have tried Alt-F4.

I look forward to testing the version with the scroll bar. I'm helping someone I know to move her tree to FH and might consider suggesting the plug-in to her.
Normie wrote: 14 Apr 2024 15:11 <SNIP>

Apologies for this - I tend to use ALT F4 to kill the top most window. In this case it may have closed the screen and left FH in touch.

Ignoring that, I have now added a scroll bar covering the certificate details. Hopefully this will cope with smaller screens.

<SNIP>

I will update the plugin in the store and post here when that has been updated.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Normie
Diamond

Post by Normie »

Teresa

Thanks for trying this out. I knew the help screen would be too large, hence I put it in a scrolled text box; I should have thought this may be too large as well.

Hopefully this will work for you.

Calico Pie have already posted the update (within the hour).

Best of luck

Norman
Norman Martin
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the update. I'll test it again soon :)

Teresa
Normie wrote: 14 Apr 2024 17:15 <SNIP>
Thanks for trying this out. I knew the help screen would be too large, hence I put it in a scrolled text box; I should have thought this may be too large as well.

Hopefully this will work for you.

Calico Pie have already posted the update (within the hour).

<SNIP>
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford