* Duplicate individuals plug in vs merge and compare

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Nicola
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Duplicate individuals plug in vs merge and compare

Post by Nicola »

I want to transfer my Roots Magic 9 gedcom to my FH7 database. Most of it is exactly the same but I know there are some additions to RM missing from FH. Is it quicker/ easier to merge the two files then use the duplicate individuals plug in or is the merge/ compare option in FH better? I have less than 3000 individuals but the thought of going through them all one by one fills me with dread!
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Duplicate individuals plug in vs merge and compare

Post by tatewise »

Nicola, I suggest you would not transfer your Roots Magic 9 GEDCOM but use the direct import method.

Can you please provide some background to this enquiry.
It sounds like you transferred your Project from RM to FH some time ago, but instead of adding new research to FH you have added it to RM.
Why not scrap the old FH Project and simply migrate the RM Project, lock, stock & barrel to a new FH Project?
What have you changed in the FH Project that would prevent that from working?
Any customisations you have made should be applicable to the new FH Project.
The only caveat is that local Project Fact Sets may need to be made global to apply to the new FH Project.

Using the above approach avoids needing to use both the plugin and any merging.

I may move this topic to the Importing and Exporting forum if the plugin is not needed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Nicola
Gold

Post by Nicola »

Thanks Mike.

Yes, I did transfer my old RM project to FH a long time ago so your suggestion is probably the most sensible thing I could do. My only concern is that I might have added to the FH project early on and not added those to RM. One thing I'm not very good at is consistency!

I'm thinking that I could run a report in both programs to list all individuals then copy them to excel to compare. If it's events that I'll lose, I will at least have them in a project so they won't be lost forever and I can check as and when.

Why do I make it so hard for myself...?!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

For such discrepancies, after importing the new Project and tidying it up, use the File > Merge/Compare File... command and review the differences, which should reveal both new Individuals and new Facts in either Project.
Do NOT complete the Merge!
If there are only a few minor details that were added to the old Project then manually add them to the new Project.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry