* A census query question

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

A census query question

Post by E Wilcock »

I apologise for yet another Query question. But I cant work this out.

Is there a simple Query to find people listed on a census as the sole occupant of a household?

Evelyn Wilcock
tatewise
Megastar

Re: A census query question

Post by tatewise »

To answer that in any detail requires more information about how you record Census households.
Do you use only standard Individual Census Events with the appropriate Date to record all census households?
Do you include both the Place and full Address in those Census Events?
Do you use Method 1 'splitter' or Method 2 'lumper' source citations for Census households?
i.e.
You are looking for any solitary Census Event with a unique Date and Place and Address and perhaps Citation.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Do you use only standard Individual Census Events with the appropriate Date to record all census households?

Yes. The census Event entry plus source is copied and pasted to everyone in the household.

Do you include both the Place and full Address in those Census Events?
I put the full street address and town into the Place field. (Not the address field which is empty)

Do you use Method 1 'splitter' or Method 2 'lumper' source citations for Census households?

I lump the sources for this Nazi census, but there are four sources in all because the media changed from CLDS films, then to CLDS computers (viewing images) and finally after Covid lock down to my using only the on line redaction. I have two sources for that, the original and then the updated, but I can merge them.

The citations for all four sources are handled in the same way. They are identified by the complete address, all of which is in the place field for the census and pasted in exactly the same in the citation. In fh7 I paste this is in "where in source" field.

I have used this system for thousands of entries. I believe following a suggestion from yourself when I started using fh and it works very well as the fh search function can locate any record for a particular address. For example if I have a group of children in a children's home, a search will pick them all up.

I am curently looking for census entries for a group of people who at some point were in prison or released from Prison and it struck me they were mostly listed on their own, but by running a query to find people listed on their own I could look and see whether this was in fact so or my imagining it.

If it is not simple to do, please ignore it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, as those Census events use lumped Citations it is not possible with a Query to identify solitary households.
i.e. The =LinksFrom(...) and =LinksTo(...) functions for links between records won't help since there are multiple links from/to the lumped Source records. With splitter Citations, there would only be one link between the Source record and the Census event.

You might be able to use the All Facts Filter by Date custom Query from the Knowledge Base Downloads.

Run that Query and enter a specific Census Date as both the Earliest Date and Latest Date.
That should list all Census events for that Date.
In the Result Set, click the Place column header to sort those entries.
You must then search by eye for solitary unique Place name entries to find any single person households.

Repeat that process for each specific Census Date.

The only other option is to write a Plugin that can perform a similar search automatically.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you very much Mike. I do quite a lot of totalling up by hand, so I can count them yes.
What is more, by adding a column I can sort them in different ways.
I will do this tomorrow when I am thinking clearly.