* Toggling icons

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
wulliam
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Toggling icons

Post by wulliam »

I have quite a selection of flags and generally use them to show icons on diagrams.
However, there are occasions when I'd like to produce a simple diagram without any icons at all.

So my wish is that there would be a simple on/off toggle which would mean that all flag-based icons are displayed on all diagrams, or not displayed on any diagrams, as desired.

Here's hoping!
William
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Toggling icons

Post by tatewise »

You could create custom versions of each Diagram without the Record Flag Condition.

One method could be to select all Individuals in the Records Window and use Edit > Record Flags.
Clear all the tick boxes and click OK to remove all Flags.
Produce the Diagram(s) with all the Flags missing, and save.
Then use Edit > Undo before closing FH to put all the Flags back.

Similarly, write a Plugin that removes all Flags from all Individual records.
Produce the Diagram(s) with all the Flags missing, and save.
Then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before closing FH to put the Flags back.

A slightly cleverer Plugin could remove all the Flags, but save their settings in a data file, and on a subsequent run restore them all. i.e. a Toggle Flags Plugin.
This would avoid the risk of forgetting to use Edit > Undo....
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

Thanks for that response Mike.

Of the three options it would have to be the first one for me. But so many individuals have so many flags that I'm not willing to take the risk of it going wrong! So I'll just have to manage - a tick box to toggle flag-based icons on and off would be ideal...if a wish list item was there I'd vote for it, and perhaps others would too.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts!
William
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The protection against any of the options going awry is to take a File > Backup/Restore > Small Backup (Gedcom only).

If you are interested in a Plugin solution I would be happy to help.

A caveat against the last option is that it will change the last Updated date-time stamp.
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

That's a very kind offer Mike - but it will be more than 'help' as I have no knowledge or understanding of how to write a Plugin. I've no concerns about the datestamp issue.
If you're interested enough in it and think it would be a worthwhile addition to the Plugin Store then I'd be very grateful...but don't feel obliged.
William
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I am away from access to FH for a week, but on return I will have a look, but if you do not hear from me then post a reminder.
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

William
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Toggle Individual Flags Plugin as promised is attached, and Wish List item Ref 538 Temporarily hide Diagram Box Icons has also been created.

I advise that you use File > Backup/Restore > Small Backup (Gedcom only) before using Plugin just in case!

Click on the ATTACHMENT to install the Plugin into FH.

The way it works is as follows:

1) If Individual Flags exist, then it saves their names in the Automated Record Id (RIN) tag for each Individual, and deletes the Individual Flags, effectively hiding them.

2) If Automated Record Id exist, then it converts the Flag names to Individual Flags, and deletes the Automated Record Id, thus restoring the Flags.

You can see this effect in the All tab of the Property Box for each Individual.
As mentioned before this changes the Updated date/time stamp for each affected record.
I have chosen to use the Automated Record Id because they are very rarely used, cannot be created by FH users (except via Plugins), and only exist if imported via a Gedcom from another product.
If both Individual Flags and Automated Record Id are found in a Project, then the Plugin aborts with an error message.
On successful completion, the Plugin reports how many Flags were toggled off/on.
Last edited by tatewise on 23 May 2023 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment Toggle Individual Flags.fh_lua deleted ~ ask Mike Tate (tatewise) if you need a copy
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

Mike,

that is absolutely perfect - thank you so much. It's interesting to see how many different flags were being toggled on and off - over 8000 :shock:

Thanks for your time and skill in producing this - perhaps it'll be useful to others as well.

Kind regards,
William