* TMG to FH import of Flags

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: TMG to FH import of Flags

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if that 'rule' is being 'smothered' by the 13 character truncation rule due the length of those Flag names.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

I am being told that it should truncate and then split into four flags numbered 0 to 3 and as we know that doesn't happen!
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

Well, they are doing the truncate and split into multiple flags for alpha values. If they also did it for numeric values then that would be a consistent approach across all flags and would resolve the Multi Birth issue.
That just leaves a '?' value as being one they drop, and I can't think of a single non-special character that implies 'unknown', which is the TMG usage of '?'. So we may have to live with that omission....
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There is no problem retaining the ? in the Flag Name in FH and having done the truncating of the Flag Tag the underscore could be appended to represent the ? .
So Related_by=C becomes Related_by_C and __RELATEDBYC and similarly for any other letter or number
and Related_by=? becomes Related_by_? and __RELATEDBY_ assuming no other symbols are allowed as a TMG Flag value.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

I think that I now have the definitive answer to the import of Flags from Calicoe Pie. The first response was:
For any given person:
------------------------------
1. A TMG Flag with value N or ? or blank is discarded and no equivalent flag is set for that person in FH
2. A TMG Flag with value Y produces an FH Flag of the same name
3. A TMG Flag with any other value produces an FH Flag with the same name but suffixed by the value

So, for example, if in TMG a person X has flag 'Test' with value '0', in FH he would get a flag Test_0. If he had value '1', in FH he would get a flag Test_1.

That's basically it. If a flag name is longer than 11 characters, it can be truncated in option 3 before the extra values are appended to make the new flag name. If that happens, additional steps are taken to ensure that the truncated flag name is unique
As their example did not ring true with the Ancestor/Descendant Flag, I did ask for an explanation and this is their subsequent reply:
The behaviour I described applies to custom flags only. The underlying implementation of custom flags and standard flags in TMG is completely different. Standard flags (Sex, Living, Multiple Birth, Adopted, Ancestor Interest, and Descendant Interest) are all stored internally in the main Individual record - unlike custom flags which are stored in their own table. FH does something specific for each of the standard flags. For example, FH doesn't handle 'Sex' as a flag at all. If the TMG Sex flag is set, FH will set the sex of the person in FH accordingly. If a TMG multiple birth flag has a numeric value of 2 or above, the import just sets a new 'Multibirth' flag in FH. With 'Living' and 'Adopted', you get an equivalent flag if the TMG flag is set to 'Y'. With Ancestor and Descendant Interest TMG flags, equivalent flags are set in FH (one version only of each) if the TMG flag is not 0.
Ii is therefore not a difference between numeric and alpha values but a difference in the way Standard and Custom Flags are treated.

Brian
JohnnyCee
Diamond

Post by JohnnyCee »

DonF wrote:So I think your Rule 4 is difficult to write, as Calico Pie have made some arbitrary decisions of their own (like in multibirth).
Don et al,

It appears that Calico Pie used TMG's database field name, "Multibirth", for the flag that is labeled Multiple Birth in TMG's English UI. Curiously, other reports here indicate that Calico Pie did not use the field name for other flags, "Ance_int" and "Desc_int" to name two.
JohnnyCee
Diamond

Post by JohnnyCee »

For completeness, but not important overall, TMG's custom flags are not stored in a separate table.
flags.png
flags.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
The definitions are stored in a separate table, but the values are in the main person table, same as Sex, Living, etc. The custom flag fields are given pre-defined names (Flag1, Flag2, etc.), and the user's chosen name and other details are stored in a separate table. FLag1 for me is "Related By", and FH created "Related_By_A" during the TMG import.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Mike

With the recent flurry of activity it looks as though the criteria for the import of Flags has not been updated with the information from Calico Pie in the KB article Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG). (After much searching I have not found how to get the orange linked title for KB articles - sorry).

I know that I could amend the KB article myself but as you were the originator I thought it might be a bit presumptive of me doing so. :)

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thanks for the reminder Brian.
BTW: To get the KB link it is much the same as a Forum link. Click on the * in the TRACE line at top and use Ctrl-C to copy and paste.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Very strange - when I went to the KB article there was no sign of the TRACE line, but when I refreshed the page with F5 it appeared :!: I have made a mental note.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, if using the link posted in a thread, then I get the same effect (in Firefox) and even refresh does not fix it, so I have to choose another KB page and then the Back arrow to get the TRACE.

how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) is now updated.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Yes, Mike, I have to do the same with Chrome as you do with Firefox.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)