* TMG Note tags/events

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

TMG Note tags/events

Post by E Wilcock »

I made extensive use of a Note Tag or event in TMG and my preceding programmes.

I have a problem with the inbuilt imported Notes.

The default sentence for reports seems to be, Individual experienced Note. This is (I believe) the fh default sentence for any unrecognised fact.

If go to Tools, Fact types, Fact set All, filter none, the Note does not show at all.

So I cant edit the sentence.

Where has it got to?
It exists as fact type Note locally and I can edit the sentence locally.

I also created and used a custom Tag event called Research Note. Research Note has been imported into fh as a custom event. That shows on the list. I edited the universal sentence to include note.

This is one of several questions arising from fh Report output of a TMG Project.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: TMG Note tags/events

Post by Jane »

What Gedcom Tag did you use on the export from TMG, were you using the reserved word NOTE perhaps NOTC or something might work better.

Mikes Rename any Fact might also work once you have set up the new Custom Fact you want.
You can then simply use the ADD option to Add the fact type if it still does not appear.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Sorry Jane - Just solved that. I had some Events hidden. I crossed the Box to show Hidden and all was well.

I have edited the universal sentence now.
My user error. I do apologise. I even think I was told about that before, but my elderly brain forgot.

As you know I failed for years to manage to learn fh, and this might be a useful case to mention to Calico Pie. How can one check that all events show (both individual and family, both Event and attribute) and check there is no filter - and yet not see that little box below is lurking leaving some that are hidden?

Ideally, that little Show Hidden box needs to be moved up the Fact Types Pane to the right of Filter - so that one can make a logical check across the top line that really everything is showing.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In defence of Calico Pie, that Show Hidden facts syndrome only applies in a minority of special cases.

Firstly, it only applies where data has been imported from another product, because FH does not allow such 'undefined' hidden facts to be created natively.
Secondly, it only applies where that other product has allowed non-standard Gedcom facts to be composed, and so it is to be expected that special actions within FH are needed to cope with that non-standard data.

However, it would be useful to implement something along the lines you suggest, or at least be able to default the Show Hidden option to always ticked.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry