* Importing citation details

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Importing citation details

Post by tatewise »

I have updated the how_to:import_from_tmg#import_guide|> TMG Import Guide for Citations and also the last paragraph of how_to:import_from_tmg#correcting_problems|> Correcting Problems to reflect what has been discussed here.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BarbaraL
Gold

Post by BarbaraL »

The value of the Sureties is that they cover the principals, date, place, and memo. I would personally much prefer to have them placed in the FH Citation Note field (if that is the best/only place for them) than to have P1, P2, and Date omitted. If you would be willing to work your magic on this, I for one would greatly appreciate having my Sureties and would be forever grateful to you!

Barbara
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Barbara, can I clarify that the Surety value of - is actually a Negative Surety according to the TMG Help that indicates information is incorrect.

There is little magic I can perform to change the way FH works, as I am just a user like you.
I suggest you use the how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting method to send your proposal to Calico Pie.
Another method is to post your proposal in the New Wish List Requests Forum.

Otherwise, if it is possible for you to use Report > List of Citations and include sufficient details to identify Sureties for each Citation in FH then I might be able to write a Plugin to transfer those Sureties into each Citation Note field.
The instructions that worked for another Plugin are:
Use "Report > List of Citations" and click "Reset Default" if necessary.
Choose "Save to : File type : Comma Separated Value (CSV)"
and set output "File name : ...\\Report_output\\Citations.CSV"
Click the "Options..." button and set the following tab options:
"General" tab: "List type" select "Columnar"
"Names" tab: "Names :" select "Surnames caps" (optional)
"Output Columns" tab:
~ Column 8 choose "Citation Memo"
~ Column 9 choose "Surety 1" ~ suspect this needs to include Sureties 1 to 5 for the current exercise
~ Alter every "Width" to "90" or more to accommodate the largest column text ( except "Source", "Date" & "Surety" )
Click "OK" and then "Create Report".
Copy the "Citations.CSV" file to this Project's "Public" folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BarbaraL
Gold

Post by BarbaraL »

Yes, "-" is a negative Surety. Here is the quote from TMG help: "-= the source does not support the information cited or this information has been disproved".

Thanks for the follow-up instructions. I will make the suggestion to Calico Pie.

Barbara