Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

More difficult to read text - Irish Marriage

Post by Jane »

2017-01-04_175430.jpg
2017-01-04_175430.jpg (136.8 KiB) Viewed 7901 times
The above is my husbands G-Grandparents marriage (you do not want to know how long I have been looking for this!)

It shows Michael Coughlan marrying Catherine Sheedy on the 8 September 1871
I think the witnesses might be Maria Ann and Ryan ? Doenny?

Can anyone make out any more of the text (I suspect it's a mix of Latin and English as it's a Roman Catholic Church)
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: More difficult to read text - Irish Marriage

Post by LornaCraig »

I think some of it says Testes (Witnesses, in this context!) erant (were) Elizabeth Canoll et (and) Maria Anna Ryan. So Ryan is Maria's surname, not a different person.
I can't make out what is at the very end.

The first three words might be Matrimonio junct. sunt (joined in marriage are...) I have seen this elsewhere as Matrimonium conjunxi sunt.

I would guess the gist of the rest of it is that Banns had been published and no impediment had been found. There do seem to be a lot of abbreviations as well as some possibly suspect latin.
Lorna
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

I think Lorna has the gist of it correctly. My transcription:

Matrimonio juncti sunt Michael
Caughlan (sic) et Catharina Sheedy
Bannis dispensatis et nullam
imped. interv. Testes erant Elizab...
Carroll et Maria Anna Ryan. J. Dann.

Note alternative spelling for Coughlan, and I've put the witness Elizabeth's surname as Carroll because I think that's a bit more likely than Canoll, but looking at it, it could be either. The name at the end is probably the priest.

Arthur
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

My thought is that the surname is Carroll, not only because it is a common Irish name but also on looking at the letter 'r' in erant and Maria they appear to be very much the same. If the name at the end is the priest it could be 'F' for Father D..... That being the case, are there other marriage entries with the one you have extracted as they may end in a similar way with a clearer last name?

Brian
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, I agree it's probably Carroll not Canoll.
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Thanks all.

Here is a link to the complete page if you would like to compare.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/edmi0q2m6svym ... y.jpg?dl=0
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

The names at the end of the entries seem to vary. One has Thomas...., and I think others probably have the surname Downes. Looking at yours again, I wonder if this too is Downes - which like Elizabeth has lost the end in the spine of the book.

Whatever it says, I suspect it will be the name of whoever made the entry as an official church record.
Denis
Gold

Post by Denis »

Thomas Downes was Parish Priest of Kilmallock from 1841 to 1890: see http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/ ... allock.htm. You might also find some more interesting background material on this page! The handwriting of your entry looks the same as the first three in February, where the priest's name is written more clearly. So I agree with Arthur's reading of it, and also his transcription of the remainder.

The entry on 10 February is a slightly unusual one: Oliver O'Gorman and Margaret Kelly were married by Margaret's priest brother Timothy coram (in the presence of) Thomas Downes.

By the way (in case this is helpful as general information), the celebrant on 27 April has added C.C. after his name. This was (and still is) the convention in Ireland: CC (Catholic Curate) or PP (Parish Priest), rather than any title before the name.

Denis
Millser
Family Historian: V6

Post by Millser »

Hi there

The Civil Registers for Births, Deaths and Marriages for Ireland are available to view on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/.

Compulsory reporting of these events began in 1864 so this marriage certificate should be listed there. The civil registration districts are not the same as the county boundaries. Here is the list http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/ ... ation.html.

Best of luck with your search.