* 1939 register quandry

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

1939 register quandry

Post by jsphillips »

I have a Thirza(h) Yarde born Q3 1870 Devon appears in Census 1871 & 1891 also .
Married 31 March 1900 to Samuel Hole St Thomas Devon and both appeared in Census 1901
Missing data no mention either together or alone 1911 Census.
Then hooray 1939 Register appears
It shows Thirza (E) Hole bith date 10 march 1872 ...this is rubbish no thirzah born in this period as Yarde, Yard or Hole.
It also shows Ernest S Q Hole bith date 11 March 1873 ...again rubbish ernest S Q Hole does not exist also Ernest S Hole birth date is different and Did not marry Thirza of any description...
I also cannot find either Thirza or Samuel deaths in this country, overseas or military.
But anyway the 1939 info is rubbish..either the Register taker tokk wrong data or made it up or the couple lied ?
Any help please
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: 1939 register quandry

Post by NickWalker »

Is this from an image of the actual 1939 page or just a typed transcription of it?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

The following do exist in FMP:
Ernest Stephen Hole born Q2 1873 in Okehampton, Devon, England
Thirza Ellen Bryant born Q2 1872 in Newton Abbot, Devon, England (which is Reg District for Teignmouth)
Thirza Ellen Bryant baptised 30 May 1872 in West Teignmouth, Devon
Ernest Stephen Hole & Thirza Ellen Bryant married Q4 1898 in Wandworth, London
1901 Census in Brentwood, Essex, England Reg District: Billericay Ref: RG13 1664 8 7

So the 1939 Register is correct and not rubbish.

Yes, I found Samuel Hole and Thirza Yarde in 1871, 1891, and 1901 Census, and their 1900 marriage.
But at first sight they do seem to have gone missing thereafter.
I suggest you investigate other family members in 1911 Census and 1939 Register and you might strike lucky eventually or get some clues.

There are possible Death records for some:
Samuel H Hole born 1872 died Q2 1958 at Bridgwater, Somerset 7c 96
Thirza E Hole born 1872 died Q4 1953 at Newton Abbot, Devon (but that is Thirza Ellen)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
TimTreeby
Famous

Post by TimTreeby »

According to FMP there is on the 1911 Canadian Census in Sasketchewan

Samuel Hole born 1873 England
Thirzah Hole born 1872 England
Nora Hole born 1901 England.

Nora Hole is baptised 15 Jan 1902 and born 31 Dec 1901 in Exeter St Thomas according to Baptiam Register.

Emmigrated in 1906.

This is almost certainly your family as abode given for baptism is same as 1901 Census for Samuel and Thirzah.

If you go to http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html you can get free access to Canadian Censuses with images.
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

When using the 1939 register do make sure you look at the actual page image. The way the indexing and transcription was done was by individual columns so the transcribers never saw the whole page information for people still slive. This has meant that sometimes the lines 'slipped' and people have ended up with the wrong household, birthdate, or occupation in the transcription!

Another interesting thing is that some people were re-copied in the register while it was in use. They then actually appear on two pages. My own mother is an example. The only entry that was 'open' was where she was on a separate page. But FMP had ommitted to 'open' her entry on the main page where she is listed with her family. FMP responded quickly and opened it when I contacted them. The information on the two pages was identical.

I have also found a number of transcription errors, specially of birth dates. ......... and then of course there are the people who were economical with the truth about their birth year!!

Anne
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks all
Nick
This was from actual images I often find the transcribers make many mistakes.
Tatewise
Thanks also it appears unusually that 2 different Holes with two different Thirzas involved in roughly same years. Thirzah E is not my Thirzah being born in Somerset not Devon , thanks anyway
Tim thanks a bunch although I subscribe to FMP I did not pick this up and this was the answer.
Great Forum and thanks to all again for all help and suggestions