* Researching Brooks Dowsett

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
jbrooks
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Researching Brooks Dowsett

Post by jbrooks »

I have a hyphenated surname to research, mostly! Typically the Brooks in Brooks-Dowsett is the individuals middle name but not always. Also there are the expected variances of spelling in both parts of the name and also no Brooks in the name. Working through micro fiche at the ERO would appear to be less of an issue than using a service provider providing access to many records from a key board although takes more time.

If you have the time try some searches on Rosanna Brooks Dowsett (christened 17 August 1862), Francis Brooks Dowsett (died age 0) and Charles Brooks (mar 12 Feb 1888 in St Mary Maldon Essex). See what results you get.

Kind regards Jonathan.

FYI: This is a spin-off from Can online services support FH research? (14102)
keith_r59
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Re: Researching Brooks Dowset

Post by keith_r59 »

If you have the time try some searches on Rosanna Brooks Dowsett (christened 17 August 1862), Francis Brooks Dowsett (died age 0) and Charles Brooks (mar 12 Feb 1888 in St Mary Maldon Essex). See what results you get.
Using http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ I can find the following entries:

DOWSETT Rosanna - Births Q3 1862 Maldon 4a 196

DOWSETT Francis Brook[es] - Births Q3 1886 Hackney 1b 522
DOWSETT Francis Brooks - Deaths Q3 1886 Hackney 1b 323

BROOKS Charles - Marriages Q1 1888 Maldon 4a 405

According to FMP Charles BROOKS married either Hannah Eliza Wright or Alice Brock.
jbrooks
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Researching Brooks Dowsett

Post by jbrooks »

Thanks Keith, very much appreciated.

Looks like Francis did not last long and where Rosanna went in the records I will follow up..one day.

Charles (my great grandfather) married Hannah Eliza Wright who was from a fishing family from Heybridge/Maldon, Essex. Charles moved into fishing as a Hawker and then a merchant/hawker from a general labourer. 20+ years ago an older relative told me that he used to "hawk" his fish on a barrow around Maldon as local caught (although some from Billingsgate).

Kind regards Jonathan.