* Evans, Annie

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
peejayay
Family Historian: V6

Evans, Annie

Post by peejayay »

I am over 80 years of age, and time is not on my side. For this reason I am trying to speed up research on the EVANS family, one of whom - Annie EVANS (born, I think, in Manchester in 1877) - married a Frederick Spooner FIDLER in Sheffield on 17 December 1899. I also believe that she died on 13 March 1965, in Chapeltown, near Sheffield. I have quite a lot on the FIDLER side of the family, but absolutely nothing of the EVANS family. My thanks in advance if anyone can help.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Evans, Annie

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG. I have moved this to the Research Forum where it should get a better response.

What would help is if you told us what documents you already have.
e.g.
Do you have the Frederick Spooner FIDLER & Annie EVANS Marriage Certificate, and Annie EVANS Death Certificate?

Exactly what help were you anticipating? Which documents are you looking for?

What online data-banks do you subscribe to? Ancestry or FindMyPast perhaps?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
peejayay

Post by peejayay »

I subscribe to Ancestry, but (and it may be due to my age, in that I don't fully understand how these things work) when I have tried to search for a Marriage Certificate - and fed in Annie Evans' name, her place of birth, her place of marriage, and both her dates of birth and death, I am confronted wih thousands of records to search through, the majority of which have absolutely none of the criteria I fed in. This is why I have virtually abandoned the search route, and hoping someone else has already done this, and I can "import" the data into my tree.
peejayay

Post by peejayay »

I should also have said that I have NO certificates, but I know the two were married because I have one of their three daughters as a starting point- Ethel Vera Fidler - who grew up to marry famous Blackpool Tower organist Reginald Dixon, MBE.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

There is a member's tree on Ancestry which includes this couple. You don't say whether you have put a tree on Ancestry yourself, so this might be your own (!) but if not it is worth a look. Unfortunately it has no information about Annie's parents but it does have an exact date of birth and death.
http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/21896 ... 1780/facts
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The first thing to understand is that you cannot get Birth, or Marriage, or Death Certificates from a research site such as Ancestry or FindMyPast.

What you should be able to find is what is called a General Records Office (GRO) Index.
Since 1837 when official Certificates were introduced, the GRO Index is compiled each quarter listing just the Names of people and the Registration District the BMD event was recorded together with the reference number of the Certificate.
You then use that reference number to buy the Certificate from the GRO.
See research:useful_research_web_sites|> Useful Research Web Sites and fhugdownloads:contents:service_uk_gro_certificate_ordering|> Service ~ UK GRO Certificate Ordering.

I have searched on FindMyPast where I have a subscription and found:
First name(s) FREDERICK SPOONER
Last name FIDLER
Marriage quarter 4
Marriage year 1899
FREDERICK SPOONER FIDLER married one of these people: ANNIE FROST, ANNIE EVANS
District SHEFFIELD
County Yorkshire
Country England
Volume 9C
Page 904
Record set England & Wales marriages 1837-2008

So you would enter those details into the GRO Ordering website, pay £9.50, and receive the Marriage Certificate in the post.
wilfred
Family Historian: V2

Post by wilfred »

Hi,
I am delighted to have found this chat about Frederick spooner Fidler. I am related to Annie Evans (she was my great grandfathers sister). I have researched the Evans family back to Joseph Evans in Darley Dale b 1781. Annie was the first of the family to be born outside of Darley as her parents Benjamin and Sarah Evans (Both from Darley) moved to Manchester shortly before she was born.
I hope all the above is correct as I am in the process of re-checking all my data.
Last edited by wilfred on 23 Oct 2016 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Perhaps, you should E-mail peejayay and compare records.