* FHU Mailing List misbehaviour

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

FHU Mailing List misbehaviour

Post by tatewise »

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the [FHU] Mailing list via 'family-historian-users@rootsweb.com'?

Everything was fine up until 16 Aug 2016. I could send and receive messages.

Now I am receiving mail from the FAMILY-HISTORIAN-USERS list OK, but cannot send.
Any messages I reply to or send in plain text to 'family-historian-users@rootsweb.com' just vanish.
I have tried the 'Subscribe' procedure to no avail, but I must be subscribed otherwise I would not receive messages.

If I check 'My Account' for 'Existing RootsWeb Services' it says 'Mailing List Subscriptions (1)' and that a message was sent to my Email address but nothing ever arrives, even after several repeated attempts, and yes I've checked for spam.

My Email address is working fine in all other respects.

Yesterday morning I even sent a request for help to 'FAMILY-HISTORIAN-USERS-admin@rootsweb.com' but received no reply yet.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Re: FHU Mailing List misbehaviour

Post by Jane »

Sorry Mike I am at work and not had time to process messages yet, although I doubt I can anything.

Your mail is not in the moderation queue and I can see you are subscribed with your post@ email address. I just checked and I did not get an FHU-admin email from you so it's possible the rootsweb server is blocking your ISP for some reason. Can you send to other Rootsweb lists OK?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The rootsweb server blocking my ISP may be a plausible explanation, except it does not explain why if I check 'My Account' for 'Existing RootsWeb Services' and it says a message was sent to my Email address but nothing ever arrives.

I don't actually use any other rootsweb lists, but my post@ Email address is used extensively to send elsewhere OK.

If I 'Subscribe' using an Email address on a different domain, but still via the same ISP, might that get round the problem?
I have tried an alternative address but no success yet.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have not experimented with those options you could try the Rootsweb support as I am afraid as list admins there are not any tools other than those which simply list the moderated / spam mail for us to approve or reject and your mails are not in there.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I am pleased to see that the Rootsweb archive at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/r ... -USERS.rss is now working again after a long absence.

I received the message from P Evans on 24 Aug but did not recieve the original message to which he was replying. With that exception I have received all the recent messages shown in the archive. However I sent a test message about 25 mins ago which has not arrived yet.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I received all the messages listed in the Rootsweb archive as per info:mailing_list|> FHU Mailing List.
But like you Lorna, cannot reply successfully.

I have complained to Rootsweb support, and that has been acknowledged.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Here is the reply I got from RootsWeb support:
Dear Mike,

Thank you for contacting RootsWeb in regard to problems sending messages to Mailing Lists.

We appreciate that you have been encountering problems with the Mailing Lists. We will provide you with the information that we have available concerning this. We are currently in the process of updating our technical infrastructure. Some processes are on hold until this upgrade is complete. This currently includes some Mailing List processes and features including the ability to send and receive messages. Some lists are now accessible and others are not. Once the work is finished these issues should be resolved. We do not have a time table available as to when this work may be completed unfortunately.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

Kevin
RootsWeb Support Team