* Editing an existing Census Template

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Editing an existing Census Template

Post by E Wilcock »

I am possibly creating a custom template.
I see how to create a new template from scratch.
But have so far failed to edit an existing template.

Ideally I want to take a USA census template 1870, remove some columns and introduce some others. I have managed to delete the template itself rather than a column.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Editing an existing Census Template

Post by E Wilcock »

I also think that my previous failed attempt is lying around somewhere, preventing me from starting from scratch or increasing the number of columns.

Where are these templates stored?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You don't really need to know where they are stored, but I will tell you how to find out.
In Tools > Options > General settings the Settings Folder is where all AS templates are stored.

However, you can get any deleted or edited template back to normal as follows.
In the Census > Census Templates Editor click Reset... lower right.
(If you hover the cursor on this button or any other button the popup tooltip tells you what it does.)
You can then tick off in the check list which Templates to Reset to installation settings.

Have you studied the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_tutorial_working_with_templates|> Ancestral Sources Tutorial ~ Working With Templates for the Census Grid?

Rather than edit an existing standard template, I suggest you work with an experimental copy.
Select the USA 1870 template and click Copy lower right.
Now change the Year to say 1871 or any other unused year, and click New.
Then click Paste lower right to get a copy of the USA 1870 template.

Use the + and - buttons below the Census Columns list to add and delete columns.

That is all explained in the Help for that Census Template Editor window.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I must have accidentally done something right as I found myself with the USA 1870 fields in my newly created Census template and have edited them. And deleted some and added others.

The thing I havent managed is to link my new data columns to fh events. Since only limited Events appear on the list offered - Education and Caste/ Group membership.

So I have to enter them as generic . This means I can append the information as a note to the census entry, when entering data by hand I have put it into the correct Event fields in family historian.

Possibly Ancestral sources is geared to write new data only for a birth date and place and for the Census entry?

It isnt a problem for me as I have entered hundreds of records direct in fh and can easilly continue to do so.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you check the Help page for the Census Template Editor window.
It lists there all the Column Types and what data they add to FH.

Regarding Events/Attributes there are:
Nationality: Assuming the appropriate option has been selected, the data entered into this field will be recorded in an individual's GEDCOM Nationality fact.
Occupation: Ancestral Sources will fill in this column with an appropriate known occupation of the individual. Other occupations for the individual will be listed if applicable. The data entered into this column will be recorded in an individual's GEDCOM Occupation fact.
PhysicalDescription: Commonly used for census columns that request information about disabilities. Assuming the appropriate option has been selected, the data entered into this field will be recorded in an individual's GEDCOM Physical Description fact.
Religion: Assuming the appropriate option has been selected, the data entered into this field will be recorded in an individual's GEDCOM Religion fact.

AS will create those four Events/Attributes in addition to creating the Census Event and offering to create/update the Birth Event. Otherwise, as you say, Generic columns can add data to the Note of the Census Event or Occupation Attribute.

What other facts were you hoping to create from the census data?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Yes, I saw those options. I wanted Education and Group/Caste membership.
I even thought of using the Religion and Nationality fields instead and then using the plug in to move the data. But as I have already used those fields for some real data, it wouldnt be a good idea.

Dont worry. I have used Ancestral sources and I know it is a wonder for entering multiple censuses over the years, especially for family groups already in the database.

But for my current work I am entering new names all the time of unrelated people - . I type them straight in using the Add unrelated person button.

The good news is that my own new AS Census template works. I have tested it out with the fh Sample database. The info is completely beautifully set out in the note to the census. So even if I dont use it, I have learned something and your guidance to me will help other people.