* Long title discarded when GEDcom reloaded

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Long title discarded when GEDcom reloaded

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If As detects that the GEDcom in use has been modified while in the process of creating (say) a census item -- which can happen if you consult FH for (e.g.) a place name and then correct that place's spelling -- it reloads the GEDcom and discards the long title of the source you're working from, but not the short title. Which is annoying -- short titles are usually easy to recreate, but long ones not so easy.
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Long title discarded when GEDcom reloaded

Post by NickWalker »

If the titles haven't been manually edited then on reload they seem to automatically update as expected so the titles are not discarded, they're updated. So presumably you must be editing the source titles manually rather than letting AS fill in the values? So the templates can't be changed to meet your requirements?

To try to reproduce the issue I switched on short titles for census (which isn't default and I don't usually use this setting). I selected a year and a place so the long and short titles got some text in them. I then added some additional text to both. I then saved the file in Family Historian which triggered a reload in AS and the changes to both the long and short titles got lost. I can see that this might be frustrating and I can take a look and see if this behaviour can be changed. But I'm not seeing a difference between the way long and short titles are handled?

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Nick,

I have templates defined for short titles so I may just be missing the fact that those revert to the template without my subsequent edits -- and yes, I see I have some short titles with UK in them where I use England or Wales or very occasionally Scotland, so the handling is the same. I don't use templates for the long title as I use that to hand-craft a full citation (following guidelines in Elizabeth Shown Mills Evidence Explained which you couldn't possibly hope to support.)

Now I understand what's happening, I can work around it -- create the full citation in OTHER (as long as it will hold as much text as a long title?) and replicate it into the long title using a Template; and continue manually editing the country in the short title. (Or use REF, which I currently use for a more specific source type -- e.g. PR, BT, CERT, etc. rather than just 'Birth' -- and settle for the generic source type as the full detail will be in the long title.)

But it would be nice to be prompted before any manual edits to titles created with templates are discarded -- you do this in other circumstances (e.g. selecting a key person after a title has been created manually).
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Helen

Yes I agree that AS probably should prompt you as normal following a reload. Your workarounds of using Other and/or Reference are a good compromise for now.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/