* Adding Dates to a Query

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
marilyn57
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Adding Dates to a Query

Post by marilyn57 »

A couple of years ago I did a query for everything for everybody which listed every event, attribute, census etc., and showed whether I had obtained this or not, not sure if it was a plug in or downloaded query but I can`t find this now. I saved this as a spreadsheet and have colour coded everything i.e. found, cant find n/a. I have managed to put everything in the same order on a new query but I have a column for dates on the original i.e. life dates birth to death, but I cant figure out where to get the dates from to put on the query. Wanted to try to merge the two speadsheets if this is the only way to do it.

Can anyone either help with this or else suggest which query, plug in I need to do the same again, if you know what I mean!!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adding Dates to a Query

Post by tatewise »

What is the Query Type shown on the General tab of your new Query?

If it is Individual then checkout View > Standard Queries > All Individuals which has a Dates Column using the =LifeDates() function that may be what you are looking for.

If you created/downloaded a Query (or Plugin) a couple of years ago it should still be in FH on your PC, unless you have deleted it, which is unlikely, or you have moved to a new PC and did not transfer everything.
Have you double-checked everything in View > Custom Queries and in Tools > Plugins?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
marilyn57
Diamond

Post by marilyn57 »

Thanks Mike, I think I lost a few things when I changed computers unfortunately. I saw the dates query, but have done that another way round. Just one more question if you can help me. How can I do a query for the latest individuals to be added to my tree. I thought it might be the updated individuals query but that gives everyone on the tree and shows when I have just added something to them. Any info you can give would help so I can merge two spreadsheets to include the new individuals without losing everything I have done on the old one. Thanks Mike
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

When you add a new individual to your file they are assigned a Record ID number. The most recently added individuals will have the highest ID numbers.
In the Records window, click on the column headed Record ID to sort by ID number. You may need to hold down the Alt key at the same time to reverse the order, bringing the highest numbers first. You can then select as many as you want and use Edit > Add to Named List.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Marilyn, this thread is raising a number of points you should consider.

1) Record Id
Lorna's advice about Record Id is spot on.
Notice how the Standard Query > All Individuals lists every Record Id.
If you continue updating your spreadsheet I suggest you include a column for Record Id that uniquely identifies each person and therefore who are the new entries, but see next item.

2) Missing Details Plugins
I suspect your spreadsheet is aimed at identifying what Birth, Baptism, Marriage, Death, Burial & Census records are missing.
There are two Plugins designed to do just that automatically :-
Lookup Missing BMD Records
Lookup Missing Census Facts
Assuming you add Source Citations to the facts you have found, then they should work well and avoid that laborious spreadsheet. At least give them a try - what have you got to lose?

3) Changing PC
When you move FH from one PC to another PC, then there is well trodden path to avoid losing anything.
See how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide for full details.
Following that guide would ensure that your original Query would still be available, so use it next time.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
marilyn57
Diamond

Post by marilyn57 »

Thanks for all your advice, I have managed to do another query and import it into my old spreadsheet, although your advice re id numbers is very useful. My old spreadsheet is useful because it is colour coded showing which ones are searched, ones we cant find, newspapers we have searched etc., so thats why I wanted to import a new one which updated people on without losing all the other information. I have also used the two plug ins you mentioned. Thanks again all of you for your advice, really appreciated. :) :) :)