* Limiting generations

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
VieskaGen
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Limiting generations

Post by VieskaGen »

I have problem as I had to do a gedcom which has only 5 generations. I have not found any way to do it. Could someone tell me how to do it.

Another problem is how to make simple list of persons which encludes only names of person and her/his family as decentants or ancestors.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Limiting generations

Post by tatewise »

I guess you want to export a Gedcom file with only 5 Ancestor generations.
The general method is in how_to:create_an_export_gedcom_based_on_a_diagram|> Create an export Gedcom based on a diagram (How To).

Create a simple Ancestor Diagram and the default is 5 generations, but that is easily altered via the Diagram > Options > General > Generations Up setting to however many generations are needed.
Select all the boxes and use Edit > Add to Named List called say Ancestors.
Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File and choose Select, Named Lists tab, Ancestors list name, >> Add All, OK.
Then select whatever other export options you require.
Where is the exported Gedcom file going?
Does it need to include Media images?
Depending on those answers, you may need to use the Export Gedcom File Plugin or create a new Project from the Gedcom.

To get Ancestor/Descendant lists use View > Standard Queries named Ancestors or Descendants or All Relatives or those named Relations ... depending on exactly who you want in the list.
If they display too many columns, then clone a Custom Query from them and delete the unwanted Columns. Do you need advice on how to do that?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
VieskaGen
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Limiting generations

Post by VieskaGen »

Thank you, I'll try to do it and if don't get it right I'll ask help.