* Customisation settings backup

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Customisation settings backup

Post by Johnr65 »

Do I have to back up my revised settings since they were last done in 2015?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Customisation settings backup

Post by tatewise »

On the assumption that you have changed some settings and added some customisations over the intervening two years, then that is a good idea.

The current Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin does have an option to Restore from Backups taken with an earlier Version of FH, and offers not to overwrite customisations with the same Name but a later Date.

However, it would be wise to take a Backup snapshot of whatever settings you have now.
You never know when your PC or HDD will crash and require everything to be re-installed from scratch.
So both Project and Settings backups on external media must be a daily/weekly regime, which can be mostly automated.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Is there a default drive that the settings back up goes to? Currently I'm unable to find it, can I make the default a portable hard derive?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the Plugin Discussions Forum.

By default the Plugin should use the same folder as for your Project Backups.
i.e. Whatever is defined in Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder.

But on its Options tab you can Choose Backup Folder to be wherever you like.

In its Status panel that folder is shown in the Backup Data: box.

Are you saying you cannot find your settings backup taken in 2015?

Have you changed PC since then, or made any other significant changes to where FH stores its data?
If so, did you copy the Plugin nominated Backup Data folder to new location?
Try searching for files such as Registry.keys or Version.data that exist within the Family Historian folder that itself exists within the Plugin nominated Backup Data folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry