* FH6 program

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

FH6 program

Post by Johnr65 »

I appear to have deleted the program in error, can it be re-installed and from where please?
trevorrix
Famous

Re: FH6 program

Post by trevorrix »

Did you purchase the Download or the CD version of Family Historian?
Trevor Rix
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

If you purchased a download version, see this advice in the Knowledge Base: how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems.
Lorna
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you very much for all your help, I've written to the group support as the trial version doesn't want to accept my id and key! :oops:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

AND when sorted out, do make an INSTALLATION ARCHIVE as advise in that Knowledge Base article.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

At long last I've got the proper versions of 5 and 6 and updated to 6.2.2 now as well successfully. I'm amazed that my media files are all intact as well, presumably they're stored elsewhere on my pc?
Whats an installation archive? :roll:
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:family_historian_installation_details#installation_archive|> Installation Archive.
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

OK Mike, I had copied the e-mail licences and ids to my portable hd but have now added the download files as well and added the whole lot to the cloud too. So as long as I remember where I''ve put them I'll be OK in future........ :oops:
Windjama
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: FH6 program deleted in error.

Post by Windjama »

Could someone help me I have deleted my Family Historian 6 program in error from my computer.
In my documents listed as downloads I have a fh6 upgraded to 6 2 7. So i though maybe I could restore by clicking on this.
This took me to Sample project and New Project. With nowhere to link my backup to the main program.

If i try to enter another way by clicking on one of my backup file projects it take me to a message unable to open file c:\Users\Carol\App Data\Local\Temp\Temp1_FH Project Backup-Wain Allcock Wood -2020-01-30 1328.zip\Wain Allcock Wood.ged. File path is not valid.

If I click on ok it takes me to sample project new project.

It is a CD version 6 which I originally downloaded. If I download this again will it work. And would I have to delete the upgrade 6 2 7 first.

I am a novice with computer jargon and programs. So hope there is an easy solution.
Regards Carol.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Carol, you are not making a great deal of sense, you say you have uninstalled the program, but are talking about your data folders and backups which are nothing to do with the program install.

You could reinstall from your CD and then once installed download and install the 6.2.7 upgrade. Once done you may find everything is back in place, if not you will need to explain in more detail exactly which files you have where
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Carol.

Reading between your lines, I don't think you have deleted the FH V6 program.

I think you mean you have deleted your Family Historian Projects folder containing your Project database.

(It is like deleting a .docx Word document, which is very different from deleting the Microsoft Word program.)

If I am right, you can still run the Family Historian program, but your Wain Allcock Wood Project database is missing.
However, it seems the Family Historian Sample Project is present and correct.

The way to restore your FH Project Backup - Wain Allcock Wood - 2020-01-30 1328.zip file is as follows.

Run Family Historian as usual and use the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup command.
In the next dialogue browse to and open that FH Project Backup - Wain Allcock Wood - 2020-01-30 1328.zip file.
That will restore your Project to its state on 30-01-2020 at 13:28 pm.
Windjama
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Windjama »

Thanks Mike. Your instructions were so simple BUT EFFECTIVE. IT WORKED.
I dont know why I had not tried that in the 1st place. I was approaching the problem from the wrong angle.
I have only used the backup restore button to save my projects.
There are so many ways of doing things it is confusing.
There is so much information on the user group web site but trawling through it all is mind blowing and like treacle.
Before you gave me your reply I re loaded my Cd.
Jane said she could not understand what I had written. Sorry Jane.
So thank you for your quick reply.
Regards Carol.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You joined fairly recently, so would have be told about how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers that gives some pointers into the Knowledge Base.
One of topics in that is Backup & Recovery that explains all about the backup & restore operations.
There is limited benefit in creating backups if you don't know how to restore them.
( That applies to all forms of backup and not just Family Historian. )

So do please work through those newcomer topics.
I wish I had a £1 for every time I have advised that.

These comments have prompted an Improving the Knowledge Base (17443) discussion.