* Quarter Format

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ralpho
Silver
Family Historian: V5

Quarter Format

Post by ralpho »

I use FH5 (as I still use XP which is not supported by FH6). I have not used it for a long time so have just re-registered. I still work in the old DOS version of Pedigree most of the time. I have just exported a GEDCOM 5.5 database from Pedigree and imported it into FH5. I see that in FH a quarterly date such as Q4 1895 becomes Nov 1895 (app) which in fields where just the whole year dates are given becomes the very misleading 1895? Apologies if I have got out of touch with these matters. IS it that GEDCOM 5.5 does not cope with quarter formats? Is there a fix? Thanks. Ralph
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Quarter Format

Post by PeterR »

Please see glossary:dates:quarter_dates|> Quarter Dates.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Ralph.

Date formats, especially quarter dates, pose a problem where GEDCOM is involved because it does not support them.

There is a Fix Date Fields Plugin but it does not handle the Pedigree format.
However, it could easily be adapted to cope if the following mapping is correct where yyyy is the year:
Q1 yyyy is Feb yyyy (app)
Q2 yyyy is May yyyy (app)
Q3 yyyy is Aug yyyy (app)
Q4 yyyy is Nov yyyy (app)
The attached Fix Date Fields Plugin Version 1.0.1 Date 15 Feb 2017 should adjust those dates.
Let me know if you need advice on using Plugins.
[ Attachment deleted as now published in Plugin Store in Feb 2018. ]

Other factors may need adjusting when importing from another product such as Pedigree.
See how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian under the sentence Explore the topics in the order listed below to repair common residual problems.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RogerF
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by RogerF »

Sorry, I'm puzzled. The only common use of Quarter dates that I've come across is the BMD Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec style. Why are you suggesting Feb, May, Aug, Nov? This isn't a complaint, just a request for enlightenment.
Roger Firth, using FH to research the FIRTHs of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the residents of the market town where I live.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am using them because Ralph says Pedigree exported Q4 1895 as Nov 1895 (app) in GEDCOM imported to FH.
i.e.
Pedigree says Q4 1895 is approximately Nov 1895 +/- the months Oct & Dec.
So I extrapolate Q1 as approx Feb, Q2 approx May, Q3 approx Aug.
But I am waiting for Ralph to confirm my assumptions.
They are just as valid as any other GEDCOM representations of Quarter dates used by other products, including FH.
See glossary:dates:quarter_dates|> Quarter Dates.
ralpho
Silver

Post by ralpho »

Dear Mike. Thank you for your speedy reply. I apologise for going silent but family matters took over. The mapping of quarter dates is asyou say. I have installed the plug-in but that does not seem to make any difference - FH did tell me that it ha installed. Shouyld I be doing something else?

I don't know if this is relevant but I have just opened the Gedcom 5.5 in Word and I see that e.g. Q2 1867 in Pedigree/Peditree becomes ABT MAY 1867 in the Gedcom.

Am I being naive, but what if I open the Gedcom in Word and Find/Replace ABT MAY with MAY (similarly for the other three quarters). This would hopefully get rid of the question marks and approx on dates in FH. I at least would know that a month without an exact day will almost always be shorthand for the quarter! I could also FIind/Delete all ABT MAY whoich would hopefully leave unambiguous years on dates in charts and reports.

Am talking rubbish! I could of course just try it, but seeking your advice first in case I get myself into deep water!)

(Incidentally one thing I did learn to do years ago on a GEDCOM in Word was to Find/Replace CHR with BAPM to ensure that baptisms show up in FH trees. I do then have to replace BAPMi with Chri to preserve Christine and Christopher!

Thanks again

Ralph Atherton
ralpho
Silver

Post by ralpho »

Dear Peter Richmond

Humble apologies. Just seen your very helpful reply re Knowledge Base>Quarter Dates. Will look into this tomorow as have to go out now. Sorry that just after posting on the 15th I got draggged away! I do appreciate everyone's help.

Ralph
ralpho
Silver

Post by ralpho »

Peter

I could not resist having a quick look even though it is making me late. BRILLIANT. Many thanks. Ralph
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ralph, after installing the Plugin you need to Run it so it can make the necessary changes.

Use Tools > Plugins, select the Fix Date Fields Plugin and click Run button.

See plugins:about|> About Family Historian Plugins for further details.
ralpho
Silver

Post by ralpho »

Mike

Thanks for the plug-in instructions. I can see how out of touch I had become, so thanks for yout patience. The plug in is totally brilliant. No need to mess round with GEDCOM in Word. I really need to get to grips with FH again. The Forum is so very good.

Ralph
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Modifying a GEDCOM with Word is not a good idea. Even as a text (.txt) file Word has been known to add extraneous information into the file when you save it, possibly making it invalid as a GEDCOM.

Use a text editor such as Windows Notepad, or if you want more advanced search and replace functions have a look at the page in the FHUG fhugdownloads:textedit|> Downloads and Links ~ Text Editors.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I second that advice.
Even if you use a plain text editor, as your earlier comment about CHR & BAPM alluded, it is all too easy to corrupt the Gedcom file if not extremely careful and knowledgeable.

BTW:
There are Plugins to make that kind of CHR to BAPM fact tag change safely, and other search & replace changes.
Checkout the Plugin Store via how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
ralpho
Silver

Post by ralpho »

Thanks Mike and David for you warning re editing GEDCOM with Word. It was 10 years ago when I was quite chuffed with myself working out how to to do the CHR BAPM change and did this routinely with no problem. I think I was lucky, as I have no real understanding of GEDCOM tags and structure. When in my recent post I was suggesting other edits in Word warning bells started ringing in my mind and I rhought "I'm not trying this without checking with you people first". I will now follow your advice and use the plug-in method for CHR BAPM. I guess all these plug ins didn't exist 10 years ago. Ralph