* New user please help

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RosieV
Family Historian: V6.2

New user please help

Post by RosieV »

Help is needed please!! I downloaded the trial version and imported a GEDCOM from Ancestry of my family tree, not easy to understand how Family Historian worked to start with, as the last software I used was Family Tree 2004! Realised I really needed to update myself as only using Ancestry to store my family tree. Decided to purchase the full version last evening and get on with the project. Somehow I have managed to get in a muddle with my own family as when using from Ancestry all living people are marked as "living" and they needed to be identified and this is where it went wrong somehow.
I added my husband - OK - not on the download. Linked us up and with our sons but somehow somewhere I now have a double entry on the home page and unable to delete those that are extra. My home screen has myself and my husband duplicated - we both have ourselves twice as spouses,also our eldest son has his partner twice.
I have looked at the merge/compare records but only one entry of all is visible. It would appear to be two records as different information has been entered. I do not understand how to change this and not finding it easy to find a query to find errors
All advise would be welcome but in simple terms as I am not used to this programme yet. :?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: New user please help

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Rosie.

Before going too far I suggest you get more familiar with Family Historian (FH), because just like any new software package, it will take a while to learn about its features. See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and work through the topics, especially the Documentation & Tutorials and Family Historian Sample Project to start with, but don't forget the others.

I suspect you have not got any of your Individual records duplicated.
What you have done is make extra Family relationship links.
See how_to:removing_unwanted_relations|> Removing Unwanted Relations.
In the Focus Window choose one of your unwanted relationships, and as explained in the above article, start with Children and then both Spouses, right-click their box and choose Unlink Record to break the Family link, until the entire Family vanishes. If necessary, repeat with your son's partnership.

When you are more familiar with FH, then see how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website and maybe import again or review your data using that advice before moving on.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RosieV
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by RosieV »

Many thanks for your reply. I actually managed to sort it out before reading your reply by clicking through everything I thought of! This was after 2 days of puzzling how to do it. My family is sorted - for now. Thank you again
davidm_uk
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by davidm_uk »

I think that many (or even most) Family Historian (FH) users on here keep their master tree on their computer with FH, and then every so often export it to Ancestry to take advantage of the Hints features on there. FH is much more versatile in terms of the data that can be recorded, the way that data can be viewed and reports created, and it's under your control.

You might like to explore this approach further before going too much further with making FH fit with Ancestry, rather than the other way around.

Also, do look at the companion program called Ancestral Sources (free) which can assist in adding new data to FH in a consistent way.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)