* Direct ancestors only

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Deirdre784
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Direct ancestors only

Post by Deirdre784 »

Wondering if it's possible to create a query where only direct ancestors are returned? I have a lot of people in my tree - and am happy with that - but I'd like to make sure that I have all the details for my direct ancestors (or any given name , if say I wanted to concentrate on my mum's branch).

Ideally I'd like to create a query returning names, BMD dates and places, maybe census records, so that anything missing can be easily spotted.

Hope that makes sense.
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Direct ancestors only

Post by tatewise »

OK, here are a number of ideas.

1) View > Standard Queries > Ancestors
This gets very close to what you want for any chosen person.
To adjust it use the cog Query Menu > Save As Custom Query then you can alter Columns as required.

2) Lookup Missing Census Facts Plugin
This automatically lists all Ancestors of a chosen person who have missing Census Events taking account of when they were alive, and provide links to Ancestry and FindMyPast to initiate a search for those missing records. There are other options to adjust who to check and various exclusions. See the Help & Advice.

3) Lookup Missing BMD Records Plugin
This automatically lists all Ancestors of a chosen person who have missing BMD Records based on existing Citations, etc, and provide links to Ancestry and FindMyPast to initiate a search for those missing records. There are other options to adjust who to check and various exclusions. See the Help & Advice.

4) FHUG Downloads
See fhugdownloads:queriesindi|> Downloads and Links ~ Query Type: Individual that has several Queries for analysing Census and BMD data for Ancestors. It may be easier to find them via fhugdownloads:censusrecords|> Downloads and Links ~ Census Records and fhugdownloads:bmdrecords|> Downloads and Links ~ Birth, Marriage and Death.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I would not use queries or plugins for this kind of task. I would create an Ancestor Diagram from yourself. The diagram boxes would display birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial dates and places. Icons beneath the boxes would indicate if I have linked in the source images of this information and decennial census images.

Anything missing is easily spotted. Use the diagram together with the Property Box to add or amend information. It's much like drawing up a tree on paper but much more flexible and comprehensive. Very intuitative.
Trevor Rix
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Thanks Mike, really helpful. Apologies for not spotting the 'ancestors' query because it is - as you say - just what I wanted. I have downloaded quite a few of the queries but am struggling to amend them to what I want so this is great.

Not looked at the plugins before but they sound handy too. Will have a look at them now.

Thanks again.
Deirdre
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Thanks trevorrix, I hadn't thought of doing it that way. My default ancestor diagram only shows name and birth and death years but I'll have a look at extending the details.

Many thanks, great to have options.
Deirdre
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

Here is an example.
Attachments
04feb2017.PNG
04feb2017.PNG (10.53 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
Trevor Rix
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Thanks Trevor, that looks really useful (though I've not linked in all my source images yet).
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Icons can be conditional on whether you have appropriate Source Citations and also Media images if you like.
See how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions and how_to:understanding_expressions|> Understanding Expressions for examples.
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Thanks Mike, sorry I hadn't spotted the reply.

Re plugins, I've downloaded the Quick Family Facts plugin and really like it, thanks.

Edited to add: Is it possible to print the sheet? I've inserted it into Word and printed from there (and saved as an image) but printing straight from FH6 would be handy too.

Deirdre
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No, but if you try the fhugdownloads:contents:utility_windows_snipping_tool|> Utility ~ Windows Snipping Tool you can snip the Plugin display panel and print that directly using the Snipping Tool's own File > Print command.
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Brill, thanks Mike
Deirdre