* Map Window Advice

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Septimus
Family Historian: V6

Map Window Advice

Post by Septimus »

Hi,
I'm new to FH so feeling my way at the moment.
The immediate problem is that the map pin is often being put in the wrong place (eg for Farnborough there are a few Farnboroughs) or sometimes not finding the place at all (eg Witney Oxon) even when it is shown on the map.
What do I do to get the markers in the correct positions given the two separate problems, please?
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Map Life Facts latest version 3.9

Post by PeterR »

The Help available by pressing F1 when viewing the Map window has a section headed GEOCODING which explains several options.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Map Window Advice

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Septimus.

I have moved your posting to the FH General Usage Forum under new topic, because the Plugin Discussions Forum is to do with a special feature of FH called Plugins and Map Life Facts is a Plugin that supplements the FH mapping feature, but there are problems with the Plugin Store just now.

It helps with auto-geocoding if you can give more details such as town, county, country.
e.g.
Farnborough, Hampshire, England
Witney, Oxon, England

Those appear to geocode correctly.
But interestingly, for me, so did Farnborough and Witney, Oxon alone, so how exactly are you using the Map Window?
Where are you located in the world, as that may have a bearing.

As a newcomer you may find how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers useful.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Septimus
Family Historian: V6

Re: Map Window Advice

Post by Septimus »

Many thanks indeed for your quick replies to the problems I had in putting the map markers where I wanted them. Now moving them around v. successfully.