* Unable to load object

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
geoffal1
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Unable to load object

Post by geoffal1 »

Sorry if this has been covered before but I cannot find anything that seems to be similar. It is the usual problem of change of computer and transfer of project to same. I copied the project from the old laptop computer to an external disk and continued to work on the project from there whilst I waited for the new computer and then spent a little time configuring the new computer before copying the project across from external drive to internal drive
On the new computer, therefore, I have the project folder which includes the required GED file; also the media file with all the many, many references (mainly jpg’s). Everything loads correctly with what photographs of people that I have appearing in the diagram boxes. However, whilst most of the media files show up as thumbnails in the properties box for each individual and clicking on them brings up the larger version, there are occasions when there is no thumbnail (but a caption) and clicking on it produces either “Unable to load object. Out of memory” or “An error has occurred. Unable to load object”. The object in question is there in the media file and opens. I am baffled and at 73 years of age running out of time (!) to find the solution (been trying for a few days) so I could do with some help please.
I am running Windows10 on a Desktop with 2TB of storage and 16GB of memory.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Unable to load object

Post by Jane »

I wonder if you have accidentally attached the images outside of the Project. If you look at Tools > External File Links are any showing outside of the Project Media folder, if so you should be able to use the Auto-repair tool in 6.2 to find & change the links to match. Thumbnails are cached in the Project which probably explains why they are working but the links are not.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.
I have moved this posting to the Family Historian General Usage Forum that is more appropriate.

Jane's advice will probably fix your Media link problems, but if not then ask again.

However, I wonder if you have customised any Preferences, Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Types, Icons, Plugins, etc.
If so, they will NOT have migrated to your new PC with the Project folder.

See the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide for full details.

BTW: Do you use the Ancestral Sources companion program, perhaps with custom Templates?
If so, then see the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
geoffal1
Silver

Post by geoffal1 »

Thanks for your help. However, nothing seems to have changed. I have tried the external file links; it says "broken media links repaired 0 out of 2" and "folders searched 90,000+". However I try this - with individuals or the list as a whole - it says exactle the same thing. And there does not appear to be anything outside the project folder. However, I estimate that from a people list of @ 15,000, it appears to be @80% correct and 20% missing links with the "unable to load object" message when I click on the frame with the relevant caption. Does any of this make sense? Not sure it does to me any more. Irritating rather than tragic as I know all the information is there somewhere.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't bother with Media links via the Individual records, as every Media link is listed in Tools > External File Links.

Are you saying about 20% of those External File Links have an X indicating a broken link?
That means that FH is expecting to find the Media file at the listed File Link path, but it is not there.

Does the File Links pane start with Project Data Folder - Media? (That means they are all within Project folder.)
Do some File Links start with C: or some other drive letter? (That means those may be outside the Project folder.)
Is it only those starting with C: that have an X?

On the old laptop PC, please check in FH that the Tools > External File Links have no X broken links?
If there are no X broken links, then some Media files on the old laptop have not transferred to new PC.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I am puzzled that it said "broken media links repaired 0 out of 2", as that suggests that only 2 of the links are broken.

In the original post geoffal1 said one of the messages was “Unable to load object. Out of memory”. But if a file is not where FH expects it to be the usual message is "File not Found".
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if there may be some Windows 10 'Settings' that need adjusting?
geoffal1
Silver

Post by geoffal1 »

Many thanks for all the responses. I think I know what the problem is and, fortunately, I don’t think it has anything to do with FH. I spent yesterday trying all sorts of things to try to understand what was happening. Eventually, I found that if I loaded individual “properties” everything contained in the media section – no matter what size the file – loaded correctly. However, when individuals became part of a tree – particularly “All Relatives – some files in the media section of “Properties” gave the “Out of Memory” response.
Going back to the Laptop everything worked perfectly no matter how full or complicated the tree. This told me – eventually – that the problem was likely to be Windows10 and the allocation of memory or Page File Size. The laptop has 8GB of Memory and a Page File Space of 8GB; the Desktop has 16GB of memory but a Page File Space of 2.38GB and I assume that my problem lies here.
I have googled the Page File Space and can see that I can make Custom Settings to the memory allocation but I am reluctant to do anything until I am sure of what I am supposed to be doing. It would appear that Custom settings allows me to show “Initial Size (MB)” and Maximum Size (MB)” but I am hesitating to alter anything without advice.
I realise that I have already strayed outside the FH remit for which I apologise but if there is anyone with a little more technical savvy who would like to suggest settings I would be grateful.
Windows10, 16GB memory 2TB storage
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I would be surprised if it is the Page File size, because that automatically increases and decreases automatically with demand. The Windows 10 file size is probably smaller because its RAM is so much bigger.
i.e.
The total committed memory in laptop is 8GB RAM + 8GB Page File = 16GB.
The total committed memory in desktop is 16GB RAM + 2.38GB Page File = 18.38GB.
So not greatly different.

A more probable cause is the image thumbnail cache file that can become very large.
When viewing one Individual at a time only a few thumbnails are needed.
But when viewing a large All Relatives diagram all the photos need thumbnails.

As an experiment try switching off the thumbnail cache in FH by using Tools > Preferences > General tab, Advanced... button at bottom, and set Thumbnail Images: to Load When Needed.

If that prevents the error messages, then your problem sounds like insufficient disk space for the Project to expand the ThumbCache.dat file which is typically very large if you have a great many Media files. Alternatively, some other program is operating on that file when FH needs to enlarge it. Perhaps you have an automatic backup utility, or maybe an over zealous anti-virus tool that is locking the file. That large file is located in the Project ...\<name>.fh_data\Cache\ folder.
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Re the thumbnail cache file, just as an example, I have about 3600 image files (plus a 100 or so document files - I don't know if these are cached in any way) in my media folder and the cache size is is about 266Mb.

I do sometimes delete this cache file and allow FH to rebuild it, which results in a smaller file, as if there's been some redundant information in there.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I have been having a similar problem, which I have reported to Calico Pie.
All media thumbnails load OK initially, but after several entries I get either "Unable to Load Object - A problem has Occurred" or "Unable to Load Object - Out of memory".
If I then close FH and restart, then the same media files will load correctly.

I have a symbolic link to a local thumbcache File ((Projects are on Dropbox) as the thumbcache file is over 1.5GB

I did post this comment 2 days ago but it vanished into thin air.

John
geoffal1
Silver

Post by geoffal1 »

Disappointing! I thought I had solved it. However, I tried the “load when needed” idea but that didn’t make any difference. I then copied and moved the ThumbsCache file somewhere else (in case needed again). 86MB incidentally but that didn’t seem to make any difference. I did my Greatx4 Grandmother’s descendants tree so not all 15,000 names were shown (in fact 814 individuals). At that level my own entry which has 8 photos loaded 7 but one TIFF file (quite large) gave the error “an error has occurred cannot load object”. I then loaded Greatx3 Grandfather tree (813); same problem as before. I then loaded Greatx2 Grandfather tree (525); same problem. However, Great Grandfather’s descendants tree (427) showed all 8 of my photos but one of his media entries and some others gave the “out of memory” or “unable to load object” error message. Finally, I renamed and copied the entire project from my desktop to the laptop and it ran without any problems. All relatives (6612) with myself as the root loaded everything as required. So it must have something to do with Win10 on the desktop. Must’nt it??
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Can you confirm that the ThumbCache.dat file is not now being created in the Cache folder.
Having changed to the Load When Needed option I think you must close and re-open FH for it to take effect.

It does seem to be a Windows 10 related problem.

Are there any other important differences such anti-virus tool, backup regime, etc?
geoffal1
Silver

Post by geoffal1 »

I thought at first that we had solved the problem. But it appears not.
I can confirm that ThumbCache.dat is not now being created
I load the project, my name is, of course, root; I list all Ancestors - so a relatively small tree (115). Everything seems to show as it should and all media entries appear when clicked.
I now load all descendants of my Greatx3 Grandfather – so a larger tree (816) with the first tree still listed. Everything appears to be OK with diagrams which have a media entry showing an entry in the diagram box. However, most other entries in each diagram – after the first - now give an error reading. In other words, the first media reference loads but the remainder don’t. There appear to be a few exceptions but not many. My mother, for instance, has 7 media references (mostly photos). On the Ancestor list, all 7 load OK. When the Descendants list is added, 2 do not load in the Descendants list and 2 do not now load in the Ancestors list. Delete the Descendants list and all 7 media references now load again in the Ancestors list.
As a matter of interest, if I change the order of media references (i.e. 2 becomes 1) the situation as described persists. The file that would not load when it was number 2, now loads when it is number 1 and the file that was number 1 and loaded now has an error message.
Confused? So am I. I am sure that this has something to do with Win10 and nothing really to do with FH. I am content, therefore, to close this issue. You have been very kind to take an interest in what is a minor but irritating problem. If I ever solve it, I will certainly post it here. Thanks again for your help.
NigelSomerset
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by NigelSomerset »

Hi
I have been having similar problems as described in the earlier thread running FH on a 24 month old Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10 laptop with 8GB RAM and loads of spare hard disc memory. Just wondered if others still having the problem and for some reassurance that I don't need a new laptop !

I have followed advice to turn off load thumbnails automatically. Should I now just delete the fh_data\Cache\ folder file for Thumbs Cache DAT size 663,247KB ? Is it safe to do so without risk of loss of media? I guess so?

Without having deleted the above file, but turned off the load automatically, my images are still showing. I presume if I delete the DAT file they will not then show until I open a specific individuals page ?

Windows Task Manager shows the FH program when it opens an all relatives chart of around 500 individuals is gobbling up 1820MB of memory. Is that about normal for other users ? The next largest use on my laptop is McAfee virus at around 125MB. and then just mainly system files in use. It looks as if as soon as the Memory usage reaches 50% that is what triggers the out of memory warnings . The other sign of overload is that the chart which is on 3 A0 size pages suddenly changes to show gridlines for around 200 page size. ( I have the FH PDF plug in installed)

Thanks in advance for any hints and advice

Nigel
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Nigel,
Deleting the ThumbCache.dat file will do no harm, and will get recreated if FH needs it.
Do NOT delete the ...fh_data\Cache\ folder if you are using Internet Data Match 'hints' from FMP or MyHeritage because their status will be lost.

FH will create and load thumbnail images as it needs to display them.

Compared to my 500 person All Relatives Diagram that does seem a lot of memory usage.
On Windows 10 with 3GB RAM the usage is 80% with FH using 45.5MB.
Firefox is largest with 340MB and then OneDrive with 165MB and BTW: Avast uses 20MB.

Opening more and more Diagrams in FH made very little difference to memory usage, but I only have about 20 photos in my Diagrams.

I imagine that setting Diagram > Options > Pictures tab Preference: None avoids the problem?

I suggest you report the symptoms to Calico Pie as per how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting and they may wish to remote access your PC to have a look.
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Chris
Thanks for quick reply. I think I have a solution now as below, but think that it may highlight a need for a tweak to Calico's software or an idea for a Plugin.

First thing I did was eliminate any hardware issues as the cause of the large diagrams with media content not loading object images, as I hadn't experienced similar problems using Family Tree Maker.

So I spent a day: (a) doing a full all files laptop scan for viruses, (b) systems check that all windows system files were uncorrupted and (c) that the graphics card and drivers were functioning and up to date. Got an all clear on that so started to investigate with an overlaid onscreen view of Windows Task Manager the differences that various FH actions made to call on RAM memory.

I emptied the ThumbsCache.dat file using Notepad.... an interestingly it still has a 0KB size after opening and closing various diagrams and a few individual records.

It seems that turning on and off the Internet "Hint" links to eg Find my Past Heritage made no difference to RAM usage.

Standard steady state operating of FH is running at RAM of only around 40MB... which is great.

Setting Diagram/Options to include no first media picture has a modest increase in RAM up to around 300MB.... and a large All relatives chart loads fine, without any images.

But with Diagram Options set to include a thumbnail size jpg (0.6" high) in around 50 of the 300 individuals the explosion in RAM usage and crashing of the diagram view was being triggered.

The solution I have come up with is:
(a) take a backup of the Media folder into another part of my laptop;
(b) open one of the media pictures with MSOffice 2010 and using the functionality in that programme to select all jpg images ( around 2000 --- ie copy census, birth registers etc etc imported from Ancestry/FTM Gedcom as well as copies of BMD certificates and photos) and compress them for use in documents; then
(c) cut and paste the now compressed folder back into the FH Media folder. Media folder size reduced from 1.90GB to 380MB

The result works fine. RAM usage is down to a max of about 450MB and the large diagram loads including images.

What is a bit disappointing though with the design of FH is that I cannot actually just leave all the file links in FH pointing back to my "master copy" high quality large size jpg files. Within the software I have to create this low resolution copy of each jpg file and remember then each time I add a new media item to double store a clean full size copy as well as in FH the lower size copy with a file size at around 15oKB or lower.

With FTM it keeps the links with much larger file sizes and synchronises with Ancestry upto individual files sizes I think it was 15MB; Albeit Ancestry created GEDCOM's from memory return a lower size individual jpg of circa 400KB size.

I would have thought FH ought really to function the same way, offering an option in the Diagram /Options menu to store in the database files a FH generated compressed image file for use in eg links to Diagram charts.

Otherwise I am guessing... as have not used this FH feature yet.... when I come to publish a Booklet, CD etc for relatives those features will now have to link to and include the lower quality jpg image, not the higher digital quality source image.

Do you think this is worthy of being a requested enhancement?

Nigel
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Not sure who Chris is, but as I said, the first thing to do is report your symptoms and findings to Calico Pie as per how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting and they may wish to remote access your PC to have a look at the problem.
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Mike
Sorry, not sure why i typed Chris!
Will report the issue to Calico
Nigel
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Just thought I would offer an update for those following this thread, in case they are having similar issues.

I have reported the problem to Calico, who have responded positively. They have reviewed my database and replicated the issues experienced in their offices. An update version 6.2.3 will be formally released shortly to fix a few bugs and other techie things about how the Thumbcache is created; and is available online now to eager beavers wanting to download it. But it will not resolve the underlying issue which they have added to their ToDo list. ( On my tree the cache under 6.2.2 and 6.2.3 has remained unchanged at 414102KB)

There were a couple of suggestions they made, which echoed earlier advice in the forums I had tried . eg to Delete and allow a rebuild of Thumbcache. And I have also as advised changed all the 120 or so first priority display images I have in my Charts to a small "link to face" file.

Unfortunately as Calico expected the updated v6.2.3 has not actually solved the "object not loaded/out of memory" or faulty views of the larger charts. On a Windows 10 64bit OS laptop with 8GB RAM/7.7GB available, charts with around 360 individuals and around 80 thumbnail images at an underlying large jpg size ( average around 1000KB) are not displaying correctly, once RAM usage by FH reaches approaching 2GB. If picture display is turned on to show the 80 or so  "links to face" on then the multi box line grid appears and the chart with 360 individuals does not display correctly. No problem if picture display is turned off or on charts with smaller no of individuals where the "link to face" all works.

I'm well outside my technical knowledge/competence, and there may be similar threads elsewhere on the forum. But in trying to make sure it was not my laptop at fault I stumbled today, before I heard back from Calico, on some online Google articles.  Maybe the root cause factor is that it seems that software such as FH which is 32bit will be compatible and work with 64bit Windows 10 PC's. But, software which is 32Bit will not be able to use more than 2GB of RAM, unless the software includes some feature or another which I can't begin to understand which will squeeze RAM availability upto 3GB. 64bit software will make fuller use of all RAM.

As said, turning all my 120 or so first priority display images to "link to face" has not solved the problem.

Good news is that Calico have today added a task to their ToDo list to try and resolve the issue.

Nigel
philmcleod
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Post by philmcleod »

I have a problem with doing a full back up as it gives a message "unable to open ...........\cache\Thumbcache.dat with an option to skip the file.
Is this file important in a full back up and what is causing the problem
I read elsewhere in this discussion that deleting the file will do no harm as it will be recreated. Is that the solution?
Phil
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Thumbcache.dat file holds the thumbnail images of Media, and will automatically get recreated as necessary.

So it is not important in a Full Backup, and deleting it will do no harm, and in fact often helps to reduce its size.

It is possible that the file is locked by some other process such as cloud store, backup tool, anti-virus scan, etc, and being VERY large can take some time.
philmcleod
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Post by philmcleod »

Mike,
I deleted the file and it was large 1GB but it has not solved the problem.
When FH was started again it recreated the file at 10MB but the back up error still persists.
I am running V 6.2.3 on Win 7 64 bit.
I cannot be sure but I think this problem may have started intermittently after updating to 6.2.3. It has happened several times recently but after several previous back up attempts it went away.
It is now persistent and the error pops up every time
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try switching off the thumbnail cache in FH by using Tools > Preferences > General tab, Advanced... button at bottom, and set Thumbnail Images: to Load When Needed.

Then delete the Thumbcache.dat file and try again.

Is it possible that the file is locked by some other process such as cloud store, backup tool, anti-virus scan, etc?

You could also try updating to FH V6.2.4 but doubt that will help.