* Back up and Restore

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Back up and Restore

Post by janefrances »

Just thought I would try installing Family Historian and the Project Files from my old laptop (Windows 7) to another laptop (Windows 10) in case my old laptop dies and also to make sure I understand just how to restore my project files.

I've managed to reinstall the program and project files onto the Windows 10 laptop and all the media links seem ok, the only thing I have missing is the Kinsfolk Facts, and I also use Ancestral Sources. How do I get Family Historian to look for this?

Not entirely happy about using the Back up and Restore Plug in because I'm not keen on messing about with my computer's Registry settings.
Many thanks, Jane
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Back up and Restore

Post by tatewise »

Jane, you are right to be concerned about changes being made to the Windows Registry, but in this case the Plugin is only writing what FH writes itself. Most things migrate without touching the Registry. Things like the Kinsfolk Facts Set and the Ancestral Source Data Entry Plugin migrate without touching the Registry, but you could download things like that again from scratch, as long as you have not customised them.

But if you really don't want to use that Plugin option then check its Help & Advice and F.A.Q. for Can settings be restored without writing to the Windows Registry? which is also available in plugins:help:backup_and_restore_family_historian_settings:the_faq|> Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings ~ Frequently Asked Questions.

The how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide cross-refers to the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by janefrances »

Thanks Mike, Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here but because I've used the Kinsfolk Fact Set on my old computer, will Family Historian automatically see the facts already entered using Kinsfolk in FH after I've downloaded it? Many Thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

There are two perspectives to understand.

The Kinsfolk Facts you have entered against each person in your FH Project are saved within the Project Gedcom file, and that Project folder is copied from PC to PC in step 4) of the Migration Guide.

The Kinsfolk Facts Set is associated with the Tools > Fact Types dialogue, and defines how the Kinsfolk Facts entered above appear in the Property Box and in Narrative Reports. That Kinsfolk Facts Set must be downloaded from fhugdownloads:contents:kinsfolk_facts_sources|> Fact Set ~ Kinsfolk Facts & Sources or copied from PC to PC by using the Plugin in steps 2), 3) & 7).

But remember the Plugin handles all those other customisation settings you have probably forgotten you made over the last 12 years.

If you are unsure about what needs to be done and how it all fits together, I advise just following the guide in full. It has been used successfully by many others.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry