* Adding a child with no named father after mother is married

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
philmcleod
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Adding a child with no named father after mother is married

Post by philmcleod »

When I find that a wife had an illegitimate child before her marriage, is there a way of adding that child without having to add an un-named spouse. The child can be added easily if done before her marriage but I cannot see how to do it once a spouse exists. The same applies if a widow has a child with no named father after her husband died.
Thanks
Gowermick
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adding a child with no named father after mother is married

Post by Gowermick »

My method is to click Add Spouse in Main Tab of property box. Click create a new partner, then without adding any details, click on add child, select new or link to existing as appropriate, then enter child details.
It will show his father as [unnamed person] . Basically, because you cannot have a child without two parents, this is best that FH can do, and in my mind, quite adeqate.

I used to enter ??? /???/ as father, but since using FH, I find their solution tidier.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
philmcleod
Famous

Post by philmcleod »

Yes I know you can add an un-named father but if the child is added before a marriage it does not need to show un-named father and it stays that way after a marriage. It is a pity that FH cannot give an option to provide consistency for illegitimate children with no father named.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Phil,
Ah, I see where you're coming from.
The way round it is to show Main Tab for Mother, click the + tab as if adding a spouse, then immediately click add child. This adds the child as before, but father's name is left blank! ( i.e. NOT 'unnamed father'), which I believe is what you are after.
It seems to depend on whether or not you click 'add Spouse/Partner''! If you do, it will create an [unnamed person]. So if you avoid adding a spouse/partner you can avoid creation of an [unnamed person]
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
philmcleod
Famous

Post by philmcleod »

Thanks, simple really. I had not thought of that. Next time I need it I will do it that way. Up till now I have created the un-named person, created the illegitimate child and then deleted the un-named person. Achieved the same but messy.
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If the illegitimate child was before the 1st Marriage, then remember to use the black arrow on the right to move the <no spouse> tab before the 1st Husband tab so the family relationships are in the correct order.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
philmcleod
Famous

Post by philmcleod »

I do have that correct, otherwise the children are not in the correct order either. I have ancestors that add illegitimate children, then got married, then widowed, had more illegitimate children, some with and some without fathers names and then married again to another person. A real mess!
Thanks for help