* recording a boarder in later census

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jbrooks
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

recording a boarder in later census

Post by jbrooks »

I have a Timothy Brooks Dowsett in the 1891 & 1901 census who then appears as a boarder in the 1911 census under a different head of household, address etc. Timothy's age, place of birth matches and hyphenated surname unique from my research to date. So I am sure it is the same Timothy.

1891 (explicitly states Brooks Dowsett for the surname) and 1901 census returns added using Ancestral Sources for Walter's household (head); no probs there. I am thinking of adding an event for Timothy in FH for 1911 census and would also like to record where he was and the family he was with at this time.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Snippets from censuses below:
timothy 1901.JPG
timothy 1901.JPG (54.46 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
timothy 1911.JPG
timothy 1911.JPG (64.58 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
Regards Jonathan
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: recording a boarder in later census

Post by tatewise »

Use AS as usual, but only add Timothy to the grid, with his Place and Address from Census as usual at the top.
In the Auto Text below, manually enter the Rutter family as a transcript of the Census.
Then the 1911 Census Event for Timothy will record his Place and Address as usual, and the Source Citation record will hold a complete Text From Source transcript and Media tab image of the Census page as usual.
If you feel it necessary, you could details about is boarding in the Note field of the Census Event or its Citation.

The only alternative would be to create the Rutter family as an isolated sub-tree and include them in the AS grid as usual.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Must admit in these circumstances (and also those where the "person of interest" was recorded in the Census as a Servant), I have tended to add the family as individuals to FH. My primary reason for this is that I have several instances where the boarder / servant has subsequently married one of the family but because of my failure to add the family as individuals I only picked up on the link at a much later date.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
jbrooks
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jbrooks »

Brent, I also have an example of a boarder marrying the daughter, after 1891, of the head of the household he was boarding at in 1891.

Do you add the complete household? How do you record the relationship to the head where the person is boarding (add as a child and then set relationship as boarder)?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

At the time, you may not know which member of the household might become more closely associated with the person of interest, so you have to add the complete household.
If you do know which member of the household becomes more closely associated with the person of interest, then you can just add them, and add the others only via Auto Text to the Text From Source as I explained earlier.
Either add household members to FH before using AS, or in AS use the Edit > New unrelated individual command for the Head, and then the Add Parent/Spouse/Sibling/Child options on the right for each relation.

No, do NOT add the person of interest as a Child.
They do not have to be related to add to the AS grid.
In your earlier example, just select the Individual record for Timothy.
If they do not yet exist in your Project then add them beforehand, or use one of the AS options above after selecting an existing family member (who is not added to the grid).
Then manually enter the Relation as Boarder.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

As Mike suggests, I add the entire household starting with the Head (in essence, added as per the order on the Census) via AS. I have set AS to add, as a Note on each Individual in FH, each persons Relationship to Head of Household, Marital Status and Occupation.
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

jbtapscott

As a newbie just starting out with AS and FH, I would be grateful if you could explain how you have set AS to record each persons Relationship to Head of Household, Marital Status and Occupation in the Notes section on FH. Mine shows in the text from source when I view in FH, is what you mean?

Thanks
Liz
FH V7.0.22
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Within the AS "Census Template" you can set the "columns" for each years census. Where I want the data from a particular column to be added to the Note for each Individual, I set the Census Column / Column Type to "Generic" (as selected from the dropdown list) and set the "Recording:" option to "Append to Census Event Local Note". I leave the "Record Even if No Data Entered" option unticked.

If you set multiple columns this way for a given Census / Year combination (as I do by including Relationship, Marital Status and Occupation), they are shown in the Local Note against the Individual in the order listed on the template.
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

Thank you very much for the quick response. I have followed through and understood how to do it
Liz
FH V7.0.22
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Beware that there is a side-effect with that technique, especially for the Relationship column.
The default setting will automatically attempt to fill in the Relationship column using family relationships in your Project database, but if you switch to Generic, those column values must always be entered manually.
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

Thank you
Liz
FH V7.0.22