* adding siblings not shown on chart

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jbrooks
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

adding siblings not shown on chart

Post by jbrooks »

I am adding siblings using the focus view window and they are not being being displayed in the chart. This may be normal although when I modify a record/change text scheme in chart that changes automatically when next field selected. This is great.

After adding in focus view if I then pick a chart view from the menu (picture below) the added individual will be displayed. I have also noticed that after going through this process then if I do "save chart" I am prompted for a new chart name without the current chart name displayed.

Maybe this is standard functionality although thought I should pose the Q.
sibs focus cht.JPG
sibs focus cht.JPG (12.78 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: adding siblings not shown on chart

Post by jimlad68 »

not quite sure what you are after. Many things in FH update in real time which is very useful (I thought diagrams did), I suppose the main thing is that once refreshed or 're-done' the data is there.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Charts are different to diagrams as they are really designed to be worked on once your data entry is complete, why not just work with a diagram rather than a chart, if you are not at the print stage or adding additional trees, you don't really need to use Charts at all.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, do not perform any more experiments related to this thread until your Page fault and laptop reboot (14055) problems are resolved.

There are differences between Working Diagrams and Saved Charts but dynamic updates to the displayed trees are not one of them.

When I add siblings via the Add Child link of the Focus Window (or make any other relationship changes) they are always reflected in the currently displayed Diagrams and Charts.

The most significant differences between Working Diagrams and Saved Charts are:
  • Saved Charts not only save their Diagram Options, but also the Diagram Root for each tree, and the arrangement of the tree boxes.
  • Saved Charts are unique to each Project and independant of Working Diagram customised Options.
  • Whereas Working Diagram customised Options apply to all Projects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbrooks
Famous

Post by jbrooks »

"Penny has dropped" with the difference between charts and diagrams. My customization to WBD working diagrams have been applied to the sample project and guess it would apply vice-versus. As attached:-
munro cust.JPG
munro cust.JPG (125.98 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, you will see that the Saved Charts in your WBD project are different to those in the FH Sample Project.

Yes, customising Diagram settings in any Project applies to all Projects.

You originally reported a problem with children added via Focus Window not appearing in a displayed Chart. Does that problem still apply?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbrooks
Famous

Post by jbrooks »

All okay now; thanks Mike