* Using MyHeritage Library Edition with Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Using MyHeritage Library Edition with Family Historian

Post by jmurphy »

I have remote access to MyHeritage Library Edition via one of my genealogical society memberships. Sometimes when you use the sites of the big data providers at an institution, you aren't getting the same service that you can get via a personal subscription.

The major advantage of having a MyHeritage personal sub instead of using Library edition is that the Library edition doesn't offer things like search results from the NewspaperArchive licensed newspaper titles, or the genealogy books from Genealogical Publishing Company. Since you aren't logged in to your own account, you can't manipulate your member tree, etc.

Just to see what would happen, I opened up FH and looked at a hint from MyHeritage. Since I don't have a personal sub, the results were partially masked. I opened up a new browser window, logged in to MyHeritage via my gen society's sub, and did a search to find the record that had been hinted at.

I then copied and pasted the link from Firefox back into the browser window in FH to see what would happen.

The link directs to this one:
https://records.myheritagelibraryedition.com/support
Click here to start your free trial today or contact us at information@ebsco.com or call +1 800 653 2726
And FH's web browser shows a box with a video tutorial on how to use MyHeritage Library edition (which is kind of useful, so I'm not complaining).

So -- if anyone else was curious about this -- now you know. I have the functionality (or lack of it) that I expected.

I'm not that impressed with the quality of the search results with MyHeritage anyway. They don't tell you much about where the data comes from, so it's impossible to write a decent source citation.

I'll probably make a log of MyHeritage hints I've looked at, just to keep track of what I've seen, but I don't expect to get much useful information, whether I add the personal subscription eventually, or not.