* backup more than once in a day.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

backup more than once in a day.

Post by jsphillips »

Often when researching I find data and enter the info and then do a full backup. Later I find more data and enter and full backup and then again. This can create many individual backups which is a little confusing on a day by day basis.
Is there anyway like FTM that after 1 backup daily any other backups that day just OVERWRITE the previous backup. Or at least ask do you wish to overwrite or create a new backup ?
Any comments on this welcome.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: backup more than once in a day.

Post by tatewise »

No, unfortunately you have to manage the backups yourself.

In the Enter Backup File Name dialogue, you can delete all the earlier backups for the same day just before clicking Save button. Alternatively, remove the last four digits (Hour&Mins) from the filename before clicking Save, then the same file name will be used for all backups that day.

Maybe in the future the Backups could borrow some techniques from the automatic Snapshot management feature.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks Mike
Once a week I go through all the various Projects Full backups for the same day and delete the days earliest.
It is a shame FH cannot see a previous backup for the day and give option to overwrite
kind regards
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Is this a possibility to add to wish list please
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are already two existing related Wish List items:
Ref 187 Tidy old backup files
Ref 528 Backup Filename Prefix/Suffix options
If the latter item allowed the hours & minutes time part of the filename to be omitted, then that would achieve the daily overwrite. I have updated both Wish List items. Now all you have to do is add Comments and Vote.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

I am not sure I see the problem with quickly identifying the most recent of multiple back-ups. I frequently do multiple backups to my external hard drive during the same day. Every back-up file name is date-stamped with the date & time. All I have to do is look at the file name to see which is the most current back-up. I usually keep the 2 most recent backups and delete all previous ones to conserve disk space. I do this deletion as soon as I make a new back-up.

You can also just click the "Date Modified" tab in Windows Explorer to get any multiple back-up copies sorted in chronological order.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes certainly, but this thread, and others before it, would like automatic management of Backups similar to the new automatic Snapshot management of Gedcom backups.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you
I have duly awarded a "5"