* Create Separate FH Project File For Spouse's Family

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Create Separate FH Project File For Spouse's Family

Post by BobWard »

tatewise wrote:Other aspects that may need further consideration are Fact Witnesses and Associated Person links.
Currently the Plugin does NOT include those people referenced via such links (and a Query would find it very tricky).
Do either of you expect to need such extra people to be included in your exported Gedcom?
No Mike, I don't use either of those people categories. So, they will not impact my exported gedcom.

Thanks again for your work on this.
WillBenson
Gold

Post by WillBenson »

tatewise wrote:Other aspects that may need further consideration are Fact Witnesses and Associated Person links.
Currently the Plugin does NOT include those people referenced via such links (and a Query would find it very tricky).
Do either of you expect to need such extra people to be included in your exported Gedcom?
The plugin works very well for me, thank you.

I do use Fact Witnesses but it won't affect what I intend to do.
Will Benson
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

The ATTACHMENTS All Pool Relatives Except Partner Ancestors prototype Plugin Version 0.4 Date 29 Mar 2016 adds some new features.
[EDIT: Attachment deleted as Plugin V1.0 is now in Plugin Store.]

Firstly it allows multiple Individual records to be selected, so that for example a grandparent family branch can be produced. The strategy is that by selecting that grandparent, and their siblings, and their children, and their grandchildren, etc, then the Individual records listed will be the entire ancestral branch of the grandparent, plus all their descendants, but not the ancestral branches of the grandparent's or any of the descendant's partners. The selection is often most easily achieved by using a Diagram focussed on the grandparent.

This strategy is now summarised in an initial Plugin dialogue. Does it make sense?

The dialogue also allows for Associated Persons and Fact Witnesses and their Relatives to optionally be included.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Mike, I just got around to running this Plug-In. I must be missing something on how to select the person for whom we are running the Plug-In for. For example, I select my wife in the Focus window (or in the Records window as an alternative), run the Plug-In, and the results bring up my side of the family as well as hers.

What am I doing wrong on how to select the person for whom I want to run the Plug-In for?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Bob, there is no need to repeat the immediately preceding posting you are replying to.

Another thread, Splitting my Wife's tree away from my own (14537), explored the problem of shared ancestors, which resulted in both sides of the tree being included. The Plugin Version 0.4 includes all the ancestors of the selected person, and all the descendants of those ancestors. So, if you and your wife share a common ancestor, both branches will get included.

In that other thread there is Plugin Version 0.7 that reconciles that problem, and in your example should exclude all your ancestors as far back as the common ancestor with your wife.

Does that make sense, and is it an explanation of what is happening for your family tree?
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Yes, my wife & I do share numerous common ancestors back in the Charlemagne era, so maybe that was the problem.

However, I just downloaded Version 0.7 and I still get my side of the family when I run the new Plug-In.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you tried excluding Associated Persons and Fact Witnesses and their Relatives?

With just your wife selected, the Plugin should exclude every ancestor of you who is not an ancestor of your wife. Thus your parents, cousins, aunts & uncles should all be omitted.

If they still get included, then we will need to delve deeper to analyse what is going on.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

I just finished some more experimenting this morning. It now seems to be running ok when I select my wife. However, when I select my wife's sister, it seems to return the entire database (which obviously includes my side of the family), regardless of whether I exclude Associated Persons and Fact Witnesses and their Relatives.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Glad to hear that selecting your wife now excludes your ancestral branch.

Well if you select your wife's sister, then only her husband's ancestral branch will be excluded.
What were you hoping for?
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Perhaps I am misunderstanding how this Plug-In is intended to work. I assumed that if I select my wife's sister, the results would only return her blood relative lineage, not blood relatives on my side of the tree as well. In this case, my goal was to isolate my wife's sister's lineage so that I could generate an All Relatives diagram for her sister, that would not include my relatives.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Doesn't selecting your wife produce exactly the same tree as you have just described?
Surely all your wife's 'blood' relatives are identical to her sister's?

FYI: You can select more than one person for the Plugin. So, if you select your wife and her sister, then both your branch and your sister-in-law's husband's branch are excluded.

BTW: The Plugin and the All Relatives Diagram are not restricted to blood relatives as spouses are taken into consideration, and in fact the Plugin considers everyone in the same Pool, so everybody related by marriage however distant are all included except for chosen spouse branches.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

When I select my wife, just her side of the family is returned when running the Plug-In. When I select her sister, the results include my side of the family as well. Yes, my wife and her sister share all the same blood relatives.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You keep repeating what I keep saying.

Select your wife & her husband's (your) branch is excluded; her sister's husband's branch is included.
Select her sister & her husband's branch is excluded; your wife's husband's (your) branch is included.
Can you see the symmetry?

As I said, if you want to exclude both husband's branches, then select both wives (your wife and her sister).

The general rule is that for each person selected, their spouse's branch is (or spouses' branches are) excluded. You can select multiple people. All other relatives of the selected people are included.

I think you need to reverse your thinking. Selecting your wife is not so much including her relatives as excluding your relatives. Similarly, selecting her sister is not including her relatives, but excluding her husband's relatives. Apart from the excluded branch(es), everyone in the same Pool is included. So when selecting your wife's sister, you and your branch are in the same Pool as her, so get included. The Pool is everyone related by blood or marriage however distant.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

tatewise wrote: As I said, if you want to exclude both husband's branches, then select both wives (your wife and her sister).
That works. Thank you.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Just a final follow-up question on this topic. Having successfully isolated my wife's side of the family using the discussed Plug-In, I created a Named List from all the people that were listed after running the Plug-In. However, I cannot find an easy way to generate an All Relatives diagram (for my wife) from that Named List. I had assumed that it might be as easy as selecting my wife's name in that list and then clicking the All Relatives icon. Did not work.

Am I going to have to save that Named List as a new Project file before I can generate an All Relatives diagram from it?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You have fallen into the trap of thinking the All Relatives Diagram shows all relatives.
It does not matter where you select your wife's Individual record (Focus Window, Records Window, Named List, Diagram), the diagram will always be the same.

If you digest this thread and Splitting my Wife's tree away from my own (14537) and other related threads and Wish List Ref 501 Entire Pool Diagram you will realise there is a difference between All Relatives Diagram and Relationship Pool.

That is why the Plugin is essential.
If the All Relatives Diagram displayed every relative however distant, then it would be quite easy to select the branches you want and omit the ones you don't. Then saving that selection as a Named List gives you the records needed to export just those desired branches. But the All Relatives Diagram does not include everyone in the Relationship Pool so that method won't work reliably.

Your very first posting said you wanted to "isolate all the ancestors/relatives on my wife's side of the tree and create a new FH project file for just her family". Well now the Plugin has given you the Named List of required Individuals you can create that Project using the advice in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree Branch with/without Media.

Even after creating that Project, the All Relatives Diagram will not necessarily show all your wife's relatives, but it won't show yours.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

tatewise wrote:Your very first posting said you wanted to "isolate all the ancestors/relatives on my wife's side of the tree and create a new FH project file for just her family". Well now the Plugin has given you the Named List of required Individuals you can create that Project using the advice in how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree Branch with/without Media.
In the last few days, I was just experimenting with trying to find a quick way to generate any kind of diagram (from the Named List) to send to my sister-in-law, prior to creating a new FH Project to isolate her side of the family.

So, in summary, the only way that I can get "any type of diagram" from that Named List (in my current family project) is to create a new FH Project from that Named List, open that new project and then follow normal procedures to generate diagrams. I was hoping there might be an easy way to get a diagram out of a Named List without having to create a new Project. However, that does not appear to be possible. Thanks for the explanation.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can get all sorts of Diagrams from members of a Named List, but I don't think that is what you mean.
I think you want a Diagram that includes as many of those Named List members as possible, and excludes everyone else.

You can do that as explained later, but even quicker than all that, from an All Relatives Diagram for your wife as root, just hide your branch by clicking on the Expansion Button just above your box.
You may have to display the Expansion Buttons using the toolbar button or Diagram > Expand/Close Branches > Show Expansion Buttons.
We have not discussed that before because the objective was to create a subset Project not a subset Diagram.

For the Named List method, start with an All Relatives Diagram for your wife as root (or any other you prefer).

Use Diagram > Selection & Marks > Set/Clear Marks using Query and choose the Named List Members Query.
Leave the first option selected and both sub-options ticked, then Run Query and Enter List Name.

Now use Diagram > Selection & Marks > Invert Selection which selects everyone NOT in chosen Named List.

Finally use Diagram > Hid/Show Boxes > Hide Selected Boxes which hides all those NOT in chosen Named List.

You could then use Diagram > Save Diagram to preserve as a Family Historian Chart file.
That can be displayed at any time using View > Saved Charts.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Yes, I tried your first suggestion a few days ago. But since my wife and I had some shared relatives back in the Charlemagne era, my side of the family still kept popping up with all those colorful lines that showed the mutual connections to our ancient ancestors. So, as a quick alternative, I figured that the Named List that the Plug-In created could easily be used to create the same type of diagram with just those people on the Named List being included.

And, the second part of your reply does show me how to do that. Although I need to re-read and digest/understand all those steps a little more before diving into that one. Thank you for the detailed explanation, that procedure should accomplish what I was originally hoping to do about 3 days ago with the Named List of my wife's relatives. Quite a versatile piece of software.