* Probate values (where to store this ?)

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
MB@RE
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Probate values (where to store this ?)

Post by MB@RE »

Hi,

What I would like to do is to store the actual probate amounts against the "Probate fact"
From what I can see there is no 'fact-value' field to enter this against the fact.

I've also read the Knowledge base article about adding this within a customized Wills tab :
fhugdownloads:contents:property_box_tabs_military_census_wills|> Property Box Tabs: Military and Census and Wills
it's still not possible. The screenshot on the knowledge base article shows the "value/amount" field clearly active. I have uploaded all the suggested files and the "value/amount" is not active.

I've also attempted to add a value in the numerous Source text fields for the Probate fact and that doesn't work.

Would someone please provide an easy solution, e.g. adding the value/amounts in either the fact note field or the source note(s) fields. Which can then displayed against a query.

Many thanks.
Mike
Mike Burditt researching BURDITTs of Leic/Northants and WEBSTERs of Lancs
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Probate values (where to store this ?)

Post by tatewise »

As well as installing the Property Box tab for Wills, have you followed its Installation Instructions:
Before installing the Property Box tabs you will need to add my ... and fhugdownloads:contents:death_and_burial|> Fact Set ~ Death and Burial for Property Box Tab, which should be downloaded and imported to Family Historian.
That installs a Value of Estate Attribute Fact, and enables the Value of Estate box on the Wills tab.

An important (and the only) distinction between Events and Attributes is that the latter are allowed a value field.
Take a look at Standard Attributes such as Occupation, Possessions, Education, Religion that all have a value field, whereas Standard Events such as Birth, Marriage, Census, Death, Will, Probate do not.
That distinction is defined in the GEDCOM specification that FH strictly follows.
The same concept extends to Custom Facts that may be Events or Attributes.

BTW: Some genealogy products do not strictly adhere to GEDCOM, and allow both Events and Attributes to have a value, but this poses problems when migrating data via GEDCOM files.

P.S.
If you really need to add a value to a Probate Fact then you must define a Custom Probate Attribute as an alternative to the Standard Probate Event, and adjust the Wills tab definition accordingly.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MB@RE
Diamond

Post by MB@RE »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
I uploaded the file Death or Burial.fhf file, but not sure what what should have happened.

In the property box/fact set list there isn't a combined Death or Burial fact. I have a custom Burial fact and the standard Death Fact.

Also there is no Customs Tab (in case I have misunderstood) for Death or Burial.
When I uploaded the file, FH indicated this file name already existed.

Notwithstading this, I'm ok with setting up custom attributes so I have the option to add the probate value/amount separately. This is the likely route, I shall take.

Thanks for confirming FH adhers with the Gedcom standard regarding this.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Death or Burial.fhf file should have installed into FH and created a Death_or_Burial1 Fact Set with one custom Event and 10 custom Attributes.
To check, use Tools > Fact Types and in the Event/Attribute List window choose Fact Set = Death_or_Burial1.
If that does not exist, then the Death or Burial.fhf file has not been installed, so find where you downloaded it and double-click it to install into FH.

As fhugdownloads:contents:death_and_burial|> Fact Set ~ Death and Burial for Property Box Tab says in its Description:
Add this Fact Set to ensure that the Wills custom tab in my new Property Box Tabs: Military and Census and Wills customisation works.
There may be a problem with your Custom Burial Fact because that conflicts with the Standard Burial Fact and thus needs investigating. Presumably you have created it at some point. What Fact Set does it belong to?

If you set up a Custom Probate Attribute then be aware that it may not satisfactorily migrate in GEDCOM to other products.
MB@RE
Diamond

Post by MB@RE »

Mike,

It's a but weird, I've carried out the Tools/Fact Sets type check. The Death or Burial fact set wasn't listed. When you try to upload it again. Windows/FH acknowledges it's there :-
"Install fact definitions for Fact Set 'Death or Burial1" ? <OK>
"There is already an existing fact set named "Death or Burial1" Fact set will be installed as 'Death or Burial15" (I guess this has been tried several times before) <OK>

This is done and is desn't show in the Fact type / Attribute window.

When you check the hidden box.
There's two Burial fact sets : one custom, one standard. The standard version is listed as <eclipsed> in the visible column and <disabled> in the Status column.

There is only 1 'Death' factset. This is standard and is set as visible.

Do I need to delete the standard 'Burial; fact set or try to enable it ? If enable, I can't see where that is done.
Thanks.

NB : Thanks for your advice about creating the custom "Probate" fact and it not migrating properly to a standard GEDCOM.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Burial Facts in Event/Attribute List
What you need to do depends on what you want to achieve.
If you wish to use the Custom Burial Fact and eclipse the Standard Burial Event, then do nothing (you cannot delete Standard Facts).
If you wish to use the Standard Burial Event, then select the Custom Burial Fact and click Delete button on right.
Alternatively, note the Fact Set column for the Custom Burial Fact row, then use the Fact Sets... button and Move Up the Standard Fact Set until above the noted Fact Set. Then the Standard Burial will eclipse the Custom Burial.

Death or Burial Fact Set
There is definitely a PC or FH problem with this that needs to be corrected, so the first step is some fact finding.

In Tools > Fact Types what does the Fact Sets... button list under Fact Sets?
Is Death_or_Burial1 or anything similar mentioned?

Check the contents of the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Fact Types\Custom\ folder.
Does it match the Fact Sets... button list above (albeit in a different order)?
Right-click that Custom folder, choose Properties, and select the Security tab.
Is Everyone listed in top pane, and when selected, do the Permissions Allow Full Control, Modify ... Read, Write i.e. are they ticked?

In the folder where you downloaded the Death_or_Burial1.fhf file(s) are there several copies with (bracketed numbers)?
If so, then delete them all.

Please investigate and answer ALL of the above points, as I am trying to discover the cause of the problem.
MB@RE
Diamond

Post by MB@RE »

Hi Mike,

I have followed your instructions and hope this all works out for future updates.
I copied the file path C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Fact Types\Custom\ and found all the different copies of the Death and Burial1 file. I deleted all the other copies, I didn't need and renamed it by removing the "1".

I then used the Tools/Fact Types , selected the Fact Set button and here I found the the Death and Burial file.
I'm convinced this wasn't there before (along with the 2-3 other files mentioned in the Knowledge Base item.) To be honest, I haven't got the proof, so I have to accept my error.

I've since gone back to the Custom folder and changed the Security settings to add to tick Full Control button. All the others were ticked and are greyed out.

Lastly, I have gone to the Person's Property Pane to find the Military and Wills tabs. The fields are now active. Many thanks for this.

Thank you talking me through it - it has been a great help.
I only hope my feedback has been a help.

Thanks again.
Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if you have upgraded to Windows 10 recently?

The folder Permissions problem may affect other FH folders too!

I am not convinced you have solved all your problems without further corrections.
That is why I wanted you to just investigate and answer the questions, rather than attempt to fix things.

All the \Calico Pie\Family Historian\ sub-folders should inherit their Everyone file Permissions from the top down.

Maybe you need to re-install FH V6 to get all the Permissions corrected.
MB@RE
Diamond

Post by MB@RE »

Hi Mike,

I have [Windows 10 update] and I am beginning to show the signs of regret.

I've had other symptoms like not being able to download photos from a camera's SD card so I had to copy them across manually.

If I relaunched FH 6, I guess I would go to the downloaded file and activated it and it would do the rest ?
Is there any particular protocol for doing this ?

I have the time this week to go through the sub folders (subject to the quantity I might find and changing them all manually) I am off work most of the week. :D.

Thanks.
Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try installing the latest free download of FH V6.0.4 but right-click on the installation file and choose Run as administrator.

Alternatively, right-click the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder and choose Properties.
On the Security tab ensure Everyone has Full Control thru Write ticked, and is applied to all sub-folders and files.
The idea is that all subsidiary folders should inherit their Permissions from that Family Historian root folder.

EDIT:
I have added some glossary:windows_10_upgrade_tips|> Windows 10 Upgrade Tips that may grow as we learn more.