* PROJECTS & GEDCOM Files

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
UKkris
Silver
Family Historian: V6

PROJECTS & GEDCOM Files

Post by UKkris »

I've been phaffing about creating Projects and updating Places and Addresses to conform to 2 columns for addresses and 4 columns for Places. Thought I'd be clever and save them on my D Drive, then got even cleverer and moved (arrgh) files around and needless to say ended up totally confused with projects and gedcoms - my naming seemed appropriate at the time but when I trying to find which file belongs to which I got into a right pickle.

I have finally ended up with EVERYBODY Project File and Gedcom.

D:\Family Historian Projects
EVERYBODY

EVERYBODY.fh_data
Cache folder
Charts Folder
Media Folder
Gedcom File EVERYBODY

Public
Project File EVERYBODY this is my default file.

Opening Project file EVERYBODY (with the correct icon) from D: Drive gives me the heading EVERYBODY Family Historian Project - [Records] with everything looking ok.

Opening Gedcom EVERYBODY (with the correct icon ) from D: Drive gives me the heading EVERYBODY Family Historian Project - [Records] with everything looking ok but why is it saying Project, I ask myself.

If I open FH from the Start Menu (my normal way) I get EVERYBODY Family Historian Project - [Records] and if I then try to open the Gedcom file through File\Gedcom File Tasks\Open, I am taken to the D:\Family Historian Projects\EVERYBODY\EVERYBODY (Gedcom icon) 16,386kb screen. If I open that it's either not opening or is opening with the heading EVERYBODY Family Historian Project - [Records]

I thought it might be because I hadn't shut the Project File down but doing so still opened the Gedcom file with the heading EVERYBODY Family Historian Project - [Records]

Is this a bug? If not, do I ignore the fact that opening the Gedcom file will show the heading Project File??

4:30 in the morning, probably brain dead now and the answer will be oh so simple after 8 hours sleep,
but just in case, H E L P.
:shock:
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: PROJECTS & GEDCOM Files

Post by tatewise »

It does not matter how you open a Gedcom file that is embedded in a valid FH Project folder structure. It will always be treated quite correctly as a Project, because you are not just opening the Gedcom, but the entire structure that FH uses in very specific ways. For example the Media folder holds media files linked with 'relative paths' that are not broken when the Project is moved to another PC. Also Plugins store data in the Plugin Data folder dedicated to the Project. There are many other similar scenarios.

Check the File > Project Window > More Tasks... for other Project specific operations that involve the Gedcom file and the structure.

A Gedcom only opens as a standalone Gedcom file when not enclosed in the Project structure.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
UKkris
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Post by UKkris »

Thanks for your response Tatewise. can now carry on without worrying down the track I'll lose everything.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

You may find the following [kb]|[/kb] topics give useful background details:
how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers
how_to:v4:understanding_projects|> Understanding Projects
how_to:changing_external_file_links|> Changing External File Links
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry